T Toyota Motor Corp has decided to start making the
Lexus luxury brand medium-sized sedan ES in the United States as
early as in 2015, news reports said Thursday.
It will be the first time that Japan's largest carmaker has manufactured a Lexus brand car in the United States. The decision will be formally announced by Toyota president Akio Toyoda in New York on Friday, the Kyodo News agency reported, citing unnamed sources close to the matter.
Toyota is currently producing the model at its plant in Fukuoka, southern Japan, and it is looking to shift the operation entirely or partly to Kentucky, Kyodo said.
The ES is the best-selling Lexus sedan in the US. It is not sold in Japan.
Toyota plans to expand its Kentucky factory with an investment of about 500 million dollars and hire more than 500 new workers, Kyodo said.
The carmaker also plans to manufacture 50,000 Lexus ES sedans annually at the Kentucky plant, the report said.
Most Popular Stories
- Bipartisan Budget Deal Gets Key Support in House
- TFA Recruiting DACA Recipients
- Bitcoin Clones Lurch Onto Financial Scene
- Scotch Whisky Sales Raise Distillers' Spirits
- Clinton to Keynote Annual Simmons Leadership Conference
- Holiday Shopping Off to a Slow Start This Season
- Health Coverage Disparities Emerge Among States
- Podesta Likely to Reject Keystone XL
- Fake Deaf Interpreter Was Hallucinating, Has Schizophrenia
- Tea Party Glum in Face of Bipartisan Budget Deal