Some 1,000 civilian employees at 60 U.S. Air Force bases will be laid off in
coming months because of cuts to the Defense Department budget, officials say.
The reduction-in-force is part of a personnel-slimming program begun last year and is not related to the current sequestration actions, the Air Force said in a statement released Wednesday.
The Air Force has already cut 15,000 positions from its civilian staffing to meet requirements of its fiscal 2012 budget, said Brig. Gen. Gina Grosso, director of force management policy.
"Voluntary efforts to balance the civilian workforce in FY12 have gotten us significantly closer to funded levels, but we still have a way to go in placing the number of surplus employees to funded vacancies, and RIF authorities will enable us to achieve that goal," she said.
The RIF will allow many civilian employees to be placed in vacant positions and continue working with the Air Force.
Most Popular Stories
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- 2014 World Cup Official Noisemakers Quieter than Vuvuzelas
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- It's No Yolk: Food-tech Startups Take Aim at Replacing Eggs
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief