Selena Gomez's bindi -- the sparkly gems she wore during the MTV Movie
Awards Sunday -- is offending Hindu groups.
The actress-singer wore the Hindu symbol on her forehead during her sultry "Come and Get It" performance at the awards show and again during a televised performance on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show," which was taped Monday. (She gushed on "Ellen" about meeting Brad Pitt before the performance Sunday, but that's another story.)
The inspiration for the accessory comes from the electronica song's Punjabi lyrics lyrics and tabla beat in the background, according to the Times of India. And the overall performance garnered a rave review from pop star and former "X Factor" host Britney Spears, who called it "incredible."
However, Hindu groups are not doting on her Bollywood-inspired performances or her costumes. Instead they're demanding an apology from the former Disney star.
"The bindi on the forehead is an ancient tradition in Hinduism and has religious significance," Hindu statesman Rajan Zed told WENN (via MSN). "It is also sometimes referred to as the third eye and the flame, and it is an auspicious religious and spiritual symbol ... It is not meant to be thrown around loosely for seductive effects or as a fashion accessory aiming at mercantile greed."
"Selena should apologize and then she should get acquainted with the basics of world religions," Zed added.
So perhaps that means Madonna, Gwen Stefani and Jessica Simpson should also apologize for the use of the bindi in the past?
The 20-year-old announced her world tour after the performance and plans to stop in more than 50 cities beginning with Vancouver on Aug. 14.
Most Popular Stories
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- American Airlines, US Airways Complete Merger
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response
- General Dynamics Plans 200 New Jobs in N.M.
- Unemployed Wait as Lawmakers Debate
- U.S. Stocks Rise on Sysco Acquisition
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- Tech Giants Call for Controls on Government Snooping
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option