The U.S. Federal Reserve is assuring borrowers sent relief checks as part of a
multibillion-dollar settlement over foreclosure abuses funds are now available.
Some of early relief checks sent under the Independent Foreclosure Review
bounced because of insufficient funds and the Fed's consumer hotline advised the
checks could not be cashed Tuesday.
The Fed said in a statement Wednesday the paying agent, Rust Consulting Inc.,
and the paying bank, Huntington National Bank, had rectified the problem.
"We apologize to anyone who experienced problems trying to cash their checks,"
Rust Consulting senior executive James Parks said in a statement.
The Fed and the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency last week began
sending payments to 4.2 million borrowers as part of a $9.3 billion settlement
with the nation's biggest banks related to troubled mortgage loans.
The first round of checks was mailed last week and more than 50,000 borrowers
have already cashed or deposited the checks, regulators said.
Most Popular Stories
- Tesla Proves EVs Can Be Profitable
- 'Liz & Dick,' 'Cloud Atlas' Among New DVD and Blu-ray Releases
- Hispanics Wanted in STEM Careers
- Repubs Want IRS Probe, Apology
- Economic Forecast Improves for Late 2013
- J.J. Abrams Boldly Going From 'Star Trek' to 'Star Wars'
- Detroit 3 Score High on Auto Quality Survey
- Kindle Fire Customers Get 500 Free Amazon Coins
- Americans Get Along Well, Despite Politicians
- Retail Sales Up in April
News-To-Go
Advertisement
Advertisement
News Column
Relief Checks in Wrongful Foreclosure Cases Are Good Now
Apr 17 2013 2:09PM
Advertisement
Source: Copyright UPI 2013
Story Tools



