News Column

Justice Department Denies Boston Bombing Arrest

April 17, 2013

Staff Reports--HispanicBusiness.com

lid

UPDATE: The Department of Justice is denying media reports that a suspect was arrested Wednesday in the bombing of the Boston Marathon.

News organizations reported that a suspect had been taken into custody for the attack that killed three and injured more than 170 people. Law enforcement officials said they have made significant progress but anyone reporting an "arrest is getting ahead of themselves."

Federal law enforcement officials told CNN that investigators are closely studying two videos showing images of a potential suspect at the marathon. Law enforcement officials will neither confirm nor deny the report.

Authorities obtained video from a department store near the site of the second explosion, CNN said. A Boston television station also provided video that was allegedly key to moving the investigation forward, CNN reported.

A lid from a pressure cooker used in the bombing had been found on a roof of a building near the crime scene, The New York Times reported.

Two bombs exploded near the finish line of the Boston Marathon, one of the worst acts of terrorism on U.S. soil since September 11. Thousands of law enforcement officials, including the FBI, are participating in the investigation.

Additional updates on this breaking news will be posted throughout the day.