Hispanic Heritage Month may be Sept. 15-Oct. 15, but the City of Brotherly Love celebrates Hispanic heritage all year round with parades, festivals, art exhibits and sporting events.
South Philly is the hub of the Mexican community in Philadelphia, according to the Greater Philadelphia Tourism Marketing Corp., and is a particular focus of folks from Puebla, site of the 1862 battle that is now commemorated as Cinco de Mayo. The seventh annual Carnaval de Puebla takes place April 28.
Right after that, the Norris Square Neighborhood Project promotes Hispanic culture as well as gardening, Puerto Rican food and bomba dancing in its Garden Exploration Week, April 29-May 3, while the Filadelfia Latin American Film Festival showcases the work of modern Hispanic filmmakers April 27-28.
Once summer heats up, Prince Royce will headline the 2013 El Zol Fest at the Festival Pier on May 25 during Memorial Day weekend, while the Council of Spanish Speaking Organizations Inc. puts on its yearly Hispanic Fiesta, a weekend blowout of music and dance at Penn's Landing, July 13-14.
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- Swiss Suicide Tourism Doubled Since 2009
- Florida's Largest Insurer Says 'Bailout' Attacks Unfair
- James Foley Beheading Sparks Anger, Little Action
- Wealth Gap Widened in Past Decade: Census
- Gap Reports Higher Profits, India Plans
- International Revulsion Grows Over James Foley Death
- Beyonce, Jay-Z Cuba Trip Was Legal After All
- Chinese Stock Funds Are a Late-summer Bloomer
- Sears Holdings Loses $573 Million