US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel will travel to
Israel to discuss military relations between the allies before
heading to other countries in the region, including Egypt, the
Defence Department said Wednesday.
In Israel, Hagel is to meet Minister of Defence Moshe Ya'alon, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and President Shimon Peres for talks to include a 10-year military financing agreement announced by President Barack Obama on a visit last month. Iran and Syria will also be on the discussion agenda.
Hagel will also discuss Syria with officials in Jordan before traveling to Saudi Arabia, Egypt and the United Arab Emirates on the week long trip beginning Saturday.
Discussions in Cairo with civilian and military leaders are to centre the US-Egyptian defence partnership and the country's democratic transition, the Defence Department said.
Most Popular Stories
- Pandora Tumbles in Late Trading
- Sporty Ford Fiesta Fires on All 3 Cylinders
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- World Tensions Don't Curb Enthusiasm for Stocks
- Russia Fears Lasting Damage From Ukraine Crisis
- Visa, Amazon Results Drag Down the Street
- U.K. Economy Surpasses Pre-Crisis Peak
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal, Alcoholism Treatment