US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel will travel to
Israel to discuss military relations between the allies before
heading to other countries in the region, including Egypt, the
Defence Department said Wednesday.
In Israel, Hagel is to meet Minister of Defence Moshe Ya'alon, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and President Shimon Peres for talks to include a 10-year military financing agreement announced by President Barack Obama on a visit last month. Iran and Syria will also be on the discussion agenda.
Hagel will also discuss Syria with officials in Jordan before traveling to Saudi Arabia, Egypt and the United Arab Emirates on the week long trip beginning Saturday.
Discussions in Cairo with civilian and military leaders are to centre the US-Egyptian defence partnership and the country's democratic transition, the Defence Department said.
Most Popular Stories
- 15 Myths That Could Ruin Your Hispanic Ad Campaign
- Bitcoin Clones Lurch Onto Financial Scene
- General Motors Names Mary Barra as First Female CEO
- AIG to Create 230 Jobs in Charlotte
- Clinton to Keynote Annual Simmons Leadership Conference
- How Bitcoin and Other Cryptocurrencies Work
- Californians Want to Legalize Marijuana
- Pacific Trade Pact Delay Hinders U.S. Pivot to Asia
- Russia Says Nyet to Canada North Pole Claim
- Budget Deal Sets Off Grumbles in Both Houses