US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel will travel to
Israel to discuss military relations between the allies before
heading to other countries in the region, including Egypt, the
Defence Department said Wednesday.
In Israel, Hagel is to meet Minister of Defence Moshe Ya'alon, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and President Shimon Peres for talks to include a 10-year military financing agreement announced by President Barack Obama on a visit last month. Iran and Syria will also be on the discussion agenda.
Hagel will also discuss Syria with officials in Jordan before traveling to Saudi Arabia, Egypt and the United Arab Emirates on the week long trip beginning Saturday.
Discussions in Cairo with civilian and military leaders are to centre the US-Egyptian defence partnership and the country's democratic transition, the Defence Department said.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Chinese May Have Spotted Malaysia Airlines Debris
- Social Media Causee Sleep Deprivation in Students
- First-time Jobless Claims Drop Unexpectedly
- Banks Buying Little From Minority Firms: Study
- General Electric Plans IPO of Credit Card Unit
- 'Candy Crush' Maker Files IPO
- First-time U.S. Jobless Claims Hit 3-month Low
- SXSW Crash Kills 2, Injures 23
- U.S. Business Inventories Up, Retail Sales Down