Online retail giant Amazon says its new specialty store will cater to the shopping needs of the estimated 80 million Americans age 50 or older.
Amazon's online "50+ Active and Healthy Living Store" will offer hundreds of thousands of items routinely showing up on the shopping lists of seniors, such as vitamins, medical aids and incontinence care products, CNET reported Monday.
Amazon is tapping into a significant market; more than 40 million Americans were 65 or older in 2010,and more than 80 million were 50 and older, the U.S. Census Bureau has reported.
Figures released by AARP suggest those 50 and older will represent 45 percent of the U.S. population by 2015.
The "50+ Store" is a part of Amazon's ongoing strategy to address specific customer needs with opportunistic specialty stories offering specific product categories.
It joins other specialty stores such as allergy relief and spring cleaning supplies in Amazon's Health & Personal Care shopping category.
Most Popular Stories
- 'Knockout Game': Myth or Menace?
- Slow Week Ahead of December FOMC Meeting
- Hispanics Seek to Grow School Board Members
- GM Bailout Saved 1.2 Million U.S. Jobs, Report Says
- Questions Remain in Jenni Rivera's Death
- Paul Walker Fans Pay Respects
- Banks Fret as Volcker Vote Approaches
- 18 L.A. Sheriff's Deputies Face U.S. Charges
- Bitcoin Used to Buy Tesla Car
- Yellen Set to Become One of World's Most Powerful Women