Today is Tax Day.
Your federal, as well as state and local tax returns will be due, unless you file for an extension.
If you need more time on your returns, you should still file, even if you can't pay the full amount due. You can get an automatic six-month extension, to Oct. 15, by going to www.irs.gov and clicking on the Free File link. The form you need is Form 4868.
Remember, an extension gives you extra time to submit paperwork only. You will owe interest on any amount not paid by today.
If you need last-minute help, call the IRS toll-free from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. today at 800-829-1040.
(c)2013 the Akron Beacon Journal (Akron, Ohio)
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- India Recognizes Transgender People as 'Third Gender'
- Major Phone Makers Sign Anti-Phone-Theft Pledge
- Michael Bloomberg Takes Aim at the NRA
- Brands Get Caught in Bitter-Tweet Traps
- Depp, Pfister Are Tech Philosophers
- U.S. Housing Starts up in March After Bitter Winter
- AC/DC Denies Rumor It's Done Rocking
- U.S. Capacity Utlization Rate Rose More Than Expected in March
- Man Arrested After Driving Stolen Car to Court Hearing
- U.S. Job Market Still Needs Fed Stimulus: Yellen