Police in West Covina, Calif., said a man walked into a Home Depot, grabbed a
handsaw and sawed through both his arms to the bone.
The man, whose name was not reported, calmly entered the store on Azusa Avenue before 1 p.m. Wednesday and grabbed a handsaw, the West Covina Police Department said.
"He just began sawing away," Cpl. Rudy Lopez told the Los Angeles Times. "He was pretty much intent on doing what he did."
An off-duty Pasadena paramedic and store employees used rags and twine to fashion tourniquets and stem the heavy bleeding, Lopez said.
The man was passing out as police arrived, he added.
Paramedics took the man to the nearby Queen of the Valley Hospital where he underwent surgery, the Times reported. His condition was not reported.
Lopez said the Home Depot was shut down for the rest of the day.
Most Popular Stories
- Businesses, Investors Pressing for Green Policy
- 'The Voice' Sounds Different This Season
- NSHMBA to Rebrand With New Name, Logo
- Lower Used-Car Prices Roil the Auto Industry
- Chrysler and Google Launch Virtual Plant Tour
- Investors Fret Yahoo's Future, Stock Dips
- Perry Wants to Skip Court for Foreign Trip
- Liberty Power Helps USHCC Go Green
- Hispanic Designer Honored As Rising Star
- Porn Lovers Get a New Search Engine