Police in West Covina, Calif., said a man walked into a Home Depot, grabbed a
handsaw and sawed through both his arms to the bone.
The man, whose name was not reported, calmly entered the store on Azusa Avenue before 1 p.m. Wednesday and grabbed a handsaw, the West Covina Police Department said.
"He just began sawing away," Cpl. Rudy Lopez told the Los Angeles Times. "He was pretty much intent on doing what he did."
An off-duty Pasadena paramedic and store employees used rags and twine to fashion tourniquets and stem the heavy bleeding, Lopez said.
The man was passing out as police arrived, he added.
Paramedics took the man to the nearby Queen of the Valley Hospital where he underwent surgery, the Times reported. His condition was not reported.
Lopez said the Home Depot was shut down for the rest of the day.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11