The Federal Housing Administration helped stabilize the
real estate market after the subprime bubble and lay the groundwork for the
recovery -- and now the bill for taxpayers might be coming due.
The Obama administration's proposed budget released Wednesday projected that the
agency, which insures more than $1 trillion in mortgages, would need a
$943-million bailout this year to stabilize its shaky long-term finances. It
would be the first time the FHA, which is financed by the premiums it charges
homeowners, has needed taxpayer funds in its 79-year history.
"If the FHA were a private financial institution, likely somebody would be
fired, somebody would be fined, or the institution would find itself in
receivership," said House Financial Services Committee Chairman Jeb Hensarling
(R-Texas), who has been warning that the agency was overextending itself to
boost the housing market. "Instead, the FHA is merrily on its way to becoming
the recipient of the next great taxpayer bailout. It's outrageous."
The FHA already has authority to draw the bailout money from the Treasury and
does not need congressional approval. A final decision would not be made until
the fiscal year ends in the fall. Obama administration officials said it was not
certain the agency would need any taxpayer money because policy changes at the
FHA, including higher premiums, have helped improve the outlook from just a few
months ago.
The FHA reported in November that reserves to cover losses had dropped into
negative territory for the year that ended Sept. 30. An independent actuarial
report at the time said the FHA faced a $16.3-billion shortfall to cover
projected losses in coming years -- the agency had $30.3 billion in reserves to
cover $46.6 billion in projected losses.
That projected shortfall is now down to $943 million, Housing and Urban
Development Secretary Shaun Donovan said Wednesday.
The FHA has taken steps in recent years to boost its reserves in the wake of a
surge in business. FHA Commissioner Carol Galante said Wednesday that she hoped
the agency's finances would stabilize enough through the end of this fiscal year
that it would not need the bailout.
"FHA is taking every appropriate action to reduce the likelihood that such
assistance is needed," she said.
But Edward J. Pinto -- a former Fannie Mae chief credit officer who has argued
that lax FHA lending helped feed the foreclosure crisis in low-income
neighborhoods -- said the Obama budget drastically underestimated the potential
for losses.
"My own estimates show the FHA is insolvent to the tune of $32 billion, based on
generally accepted accounting principles," said Pinto, a resident fellow at the
American Enterprise Institute, a free-market think tank. "The billion dollars
[in the proposed Obama budget] is based on government accounting principles,
which as someone once said are neither accounting nor principled."
The $1.1 trillion in FHA insurance that's currently in force on mortgages would
pose an enormous risk should the economy stop growing, Pinto said.
"If the United States has just a modest to moderate recession at any time in the
next three or four years, FHA and the taxpayers will suffer catastrophic
losses," he said.
It's no surprise that the agency needs support, said Raphael W. Bostic, a USC
real estate professor. The collapse of home prices was far greater than expected
when the FHA stepped in to bolster the market during the housing crisis.
"The FHA played a critical role in making sure the market didn't completely
collapse coming off of the free-fall in prices," Bostic said.
The FHA's finances contrast with the improving picture for Fannie Mae and
Freddie Mac, the housing finance giants seized by the government in 2008 to
prevent their bankruptcy.
The housing recovery helped the taxpayer-owned firms turn profits last year for
the first time in six years. They have received a combined $187.5 billion in
bailout money as of March 29. But as their finances have improved, they've been
reducing the tab for taxpayers through required dividend payments.
Fannie and Freddie have paid a total of $65 billion in dividends to the
Treasury. On Wednesday, Obama's budget for the first time projected a net profit
to taxpayers of $51 billion through 2023.
The FHA was created during the Great Depression to help revive the housing
market during a time of crisis. It insures loans with down payments of as low as
3.5%.
As banks pulled back on lending during the recession, FHA's role in the market
expanded. Now its long-term finances are being dragged down by bad loans it
backed from 2007 to 2009. One major factor in the FHA's losses has been its
reverse mortgage program, which enables older homeowners to tap the equity in
their homes.
Many of those using the FHA's reverse mortgage program took out large amounts of
equity, and the FHA was on the hook for losses to the lender when the value of
those homes dropped. The FHA has proposed major changes to the reverse mortgage
program, Donovan said.
"If it were not for the reverse mortgage program, the FHA fund would be in
significantly positive territory," Donovan said.
jim.puzzanghera@latimes.com
scott.reckard@latimes.com
___
(c)2013 the Los Angeles Times
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Tesla Proves EVs Can Be Profitable
- 'Liz & Dick,' 'Cloud Atlas' Among New DVD and Blu-ray Releases
- Hispanics Wanted in STEM Careers
- Repubs Want IRS Probe, Apology
- Economic Forecast Improves for Late 2013
- J.J. Abrams Boldly Going From 'Star Trek' to 'Star Wars'
- Detroit 3 Score High on Auto Quality Survey
- Kindle Fire Customers Get 500 Free Amazon Coins
- Americans Get Along Well, Despite Politicians
- Retail Sales Up in April
News-To-Go
Advertisement
Advertisement
News Column
FHA Could Need $943 Million Bailout
Apr 10 2013 6:56PM
Advertisement
For more stories on investments and markets, please see HispanicBusiness' Finance Channel
Source: Copyright Los Angeles Times 2013
Story Tools



