Gunmen attacked a polio vaccination team going door to door in Pakistan
Wednesday, killing one police officer and injuring another, officials said.
The attackers fled on a motorcycle after opening fire on the vaccination team being guarded by officers, NewsPakistan.pk reported.
It was the second such attack on a polio team in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province's Mardan district in three months, Dawn News reported. In February, a policeman was shot dead while protecting a vaccination team in Mardan.
Authorities suspended anti-polio efforts in the region after Wednesday's incident, Dawn News said.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, though the Taliban banned the vaccinations in protest of U.S. drones, NewsPakistan.pk said.
Pakistan, Afghanistan and Nigeria are the only countries in the world where polio is still considered endemic. Pakistan had 198 polio cases in 2011, the highest number in more than a decade and more than any country in the world, the United Nations said.
Most Popular Stories
- Prosecutor to Investigate Walmart Police Shooting
- GM to Announce New Jobs in Tennessee
- Mark Sanchez Suddenly a Hot QB Commodity
- Smith & Wesson Misses Target
- Emirates Hit Libyan Targets With Airstrikes
- Michael Brown Funeral: Can Americans Change the Script of Violence?
- Marco Rubio Warns Obama on Deportations
- American Killed With ISIS Fighters in Syria
- Surf's Up! SoCal Prepares for Big Storm Surf
- Ford Hires 300 at Louisville Lincoln Plant