Google has announced a makeover for its Google Play store for Android
smartphones and tablets it says will simplify getting music, movies and apps.
"The new design focuses on bigger images that jump off the page," Michael Siliski, group product manager for Google Play, wrote in a blog post. "Similarly themed content is grouped together so you can hone in on a magazine to read or an app to try."
Smartphones and tablets running Android version 2.2 and above will see the new design of Google Play rolling out beginning Tuesday, Google said.
"People around the world should see it over the next few weeks," Siliksi wrote. "Get ready for a simpler Google Play."
In the new design, categories -- apps, movies & TV, books, games, music and magazines -- appear at the top of the Google Play home screen for quick access.
Google Play debuted a year ago as a merging of the company's Android Market, Google Music and the eBookstore.
Most Popular Stories
- More Hispanic Voters May Not Mean More Clout
- Government: 500 Million Records Stolen in 12 Months
- Mom Makes Toys R Us Pull 'Breaking Bad' Dolls
- Apple Pay Debuts With Few Issues
- Pistorius Gets 5-year Sentence in Shooting Death
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform
- Cuba Deploys More Medicos in Ebola Fight
- Volatility No Reason to Bail on Stock Market
- Samsung Phones Cleared For U.S. Government Use
- Disney's Animated Feature 'Moana' Slated for 2016 Release