For thousands of state workers, today is a holiday, the observance of Cesar Chavez's birthday. For millions of baseball fans, it's a holiday, too -- Opening Day.
Sure, the Astros hosted the Rangers on Sunday night in the first game of the 2013 season, but it was just one game -- in Texas.
For everyone else in the country, today is the real Opening Day, with 13 games on the schedule.
And for Giants fans, is there any better way to open the season than playing the hated Dodgers?
Matt Cain takes the mound for the defending World Series champs at 1:10 p.m. at Dodger Stadium against Clayton Kershaw in a dream showdown of two of the top candidates for the National League Cy Young Award.
In the Bay Area, the A's open defense of their American League West title, hosting the Seattle Mariners at 7:05 p.m. The A's send Brett Anderson to the mound against Felix Hernandez.
Call The Bee's Tom Couzens, (916) 321-1097. Follow him on Twitter @tomcouzens.
(c)2013 The Sacramento Bee (Sacramento, Calif.)
Visit The Sacramento Bee (Sacramento, Calif.) at www.sacbee.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- India Recognizes Transgender People as 'Third Gender'
- Grand Jury Seated in Rick Perry Ethics Case
- The 420 on the Hemp Products Giveaway
- Five Secrets for Keeping a Job
- Alfonso Wins Executive of the Year Award
- Study: Casual Marijuana Use May Cause Brain Changes
- U.S. Homebuilder Confidence Edged Up in April
- U.S. Housing Starts up in March After Bitter Winter
- U.S. Highway Fund Nearly Broke, Jeopardizing Jobs
- Miami Attorney Being Honored for Charity Work