For thousands of state workers, today is a holiday, the observance of Cesar Chavez's birthday. For millions of baseball fans, it's a holiday, too -- Opening Day.
Sure, the Astros hosted the Rangers on Sunday night in the first game of the 2013 season, but it was just one game -- in Texas.
For everyone else in the country, today is the real Opening Day, with 13 games on the schedule.
And for Giants fans, is there any better way to open the season than playing the hated Dodgers?
Matt Cain takes the mound for the defending World Series champs at 1:10 p.m. at Dodger Stadium against Clayton Kershaw in a dream showdown of two of the top candidates for the National League Cy Young Award.
In the Bay Area, the A's open defense of their American League West title, hosting the Seattle Mariners at 7:05 p.m. The A's send Brett Anderson to the mound against Felix Hernandez.
Call The Bee's Tom Couzens, (916) 321-1097. Follow him on Twitter @tomcouzens.
(c)2013 The Sacramento Bee (Sacramento, Calif.)
Visit The Sacramento Bee (Sacramento, Calif.) at www.sacbee.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Steve Ballmer Files Six-Figure Counterclaim vs. Steve Gordon
- Creepers! Microsoft Buys 'Minecraft' Maker for $2.5 Billion
- Hispanic Buying Power Slow but Growing in South
- Back to School, Even in Immigration Jail
- Apple: Record iPhones 6 Orders on 1st Day
- When to Say No to Investors, Yes to Mentors
- Is a Mayweather, Pacquiao Big-Money Fight Possible?
- U.S. Factory Output Slowed 0.4 Percent in August
- Clinton: 'Fabulous to Be Back' in Iowa
- DOJ Launches Program to Thwart U.S. Extremists