For thousands of state workers, today is a holiday, the observance of Cesar Chavez's birthday. For millions of baseball fans, it's a holiday, too -- Opening Day.
Sure, the Astros hosted the Rangers on Sunday night in the first game of the 2013 season, but it was just one game -- in Texas.
For everyone else in the country, today is the real Opening Day, with 13 games on the schedule.
And for Giants fans, is there any better way to open the season than playing the hated Dodgers?
Matt Cain takes the mound for the defending World Series champs at 1:10 p.m. at Dodger Stadium against Clayton Kershaw in a dream showdown of two of the top candidates for the National League Cy Young Award.
In the Bay Area, the A's open defense of their American League West title, hosting the Seattle Mariners at 7:05 p.m. The A's send Brett Anderson to the mound against Felix Hernandez.
Call The Bee's Tom Couzens, (916) 321-1097. Follow him on Twitter @tomcouzens.
(c)2013 The Sacramento Bee (Sacramento, Calif.)
Visit The Sacramento Bee (Sacramento, Calif.) at www.sacbee.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Frightfully Fun Films Return for Halloween
- Pfizer Approves $11 Billion Buyback Plan
- Would Soccer Be Richer Without Small Clubs?
- Cloud Lifts Microsoft's Quarterly Results
- Jennifer Aniston, Justin Theroux Set the Date
- Stocks Continue Strong After Opening Surge
- Weekly Jobless Claims Rise but Remain Low
- Hollywood Eager to Grasp Hispanic Market
- IS Funded by Black Market Oil Sales, Racketeering
- Teresa Giudice Must Serve Time in Prison