Wrigley is launching caffeinated gum for adults who want an easier way to get a jolt.
Aimed at consumers aged 25-49, Wrigley's new Alert Energy Caffeine Gum is targeting those who might have dropped the gum-chewing habit of their younger years, while tapping into the rapidly growing energy products market.
Alert has the caffeine content of about half a cup of coffee or a 16-ounce soda. Wrigley, the world's largest gum maker, also produces brands including Juicy Fruit, Big Red and Doublemint.
Growing gum sales has been a major focus for the company in recent years as other products including energy drinks take up shelf space. Some other gum makers have launched their own caffeinated products.
Alert is set to launch in some stores next month with a full roll-out aimed for summer. Alert will come in an eight-pack of fruit or mint flavors for a suggested price of $2.99.
Wm. Wrigley Jr. Co. said Alert packs will prominently display ingredients and warning labels about caffeine intake and will not be targeted to minors.
firstname.lastname@example.org -- Twitter: @SamWillTravel
(c)2013 the Chicago Tribune
Visit the Chicago Tribune at www.chicagotribune.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Study: Recessions Can Postpone Motherhood Forever
- Washington's 'The Equalizer' Debuts With $35 Million
- Hispanic Entrepreneurs Short-changed in Texas
- Effort to Oust Assad Put on Hold
- Hispanics Carry Big Clout: Census
- Los Angeles Set to Host Small Business Summit
- White House Intruder Got Farther Than Reported
- Qantas Puts World's Largest Plane on Longest Route
- Chicago Flight Delays: Questions Answered
- Jeb Bush: GOP Senate Would 'Fix a Few Things'