Wrigley is launching caffeinated gum for adults who want an easier way to get a jolt.
Aimed at consumers aged 25-49, Wrigley's new Alert Energy Caffeine Gum is targeting those who might have dropped the gum-chewing habit of their younger years, while tapping into the rapidly growing energy products market.
Alert has the caffeine content of about half a cup of coffee or a 16-ounce soda. Wrigley, the world's largest gum maker, also produces brands including Juicy Fruit, Big Red and Doublemint.
Growing gum sales has been a major focus for the company in recent years as other products including energy drinks take up shelf space. Some other gum makers have launched their own caffeinated products.
Alert is set to launch in some stores next month with a full roll-out aimed for summer. Alert will come in an eight-pack of fruit or mint flavors for a suggested price of $2.99.
Wm. Wrigley Jr. Co. said Alert packs will prominently display ingredients and warning labels about caffeine intake and will not be targeted to minors.
firstname.lastname@example.org -- Twitter: @SamWillTravel
(c)2013 the Chicago Tribune
Visit the Chicago Tribune at www.chicagotribune.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women