OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwire) -- 03/08/13 -- The Honourable Gary Goodyear, Minister of State (Science and Technology), issued the following statement:
"Today, I am pleased to join the millions of women and men around the world in celebrating International Women's Day. Canada has a rich and diverse history of women in science: from Harriet Brooks, who graduated from McGill University in 1888 and began a career as Canada's first woman nuclear physicist; to Elsie MacGill, the world's first female aircraft designer; to Roberta Bondar, our first female astronaut and the world's first neurologist in space.
"Canadian women in science are making discoveries and putting advanced technologies to work that help save lives and make life better for us all. They are pushing the boundaries of knowledge and providing role models for our young people. Their efforts encourage us all to dream a little bit bigger.
"Our government proudly supports women in science. Through scholarships, fellowships, research chairs and investments in basic research, we are working to ensure that we develop and attract the world's brightest researchers. By creating the conditions for breakthroughs and ideas to flourish, we are improving the quality of life of all Canadians."
As outlined by the Prime Minister, the Harper Government remains focused on what Canadians care most about: their families, the safety of our streets and communities, pride in being a citizen of this country and personal financial security.
For information on women in science, visit the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada's Women in Science and Engineering website (www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/women-femmes/index_eng.asp).
Director of Communications
Office of the Honourable Gary Goodyear
Minister of State (Science and Technology)
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women