STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN -- (Marketwire) -- 03/07/13 --
* Enhances high-speed data, voice over LTE (VoLTE) and Rich Communication Services for US-based MetroPCS customers
* LTE core transformation allows MetroPCS to handle high-capacity needsand save costs by consolidating multiple applications on the same platform
* Expanded partnership makes Ericsson responsible for design,integration, deployment and post-launch customer support
Ericsson (NASDAQ: ERIC) has been selected by Dallas-based wireless carrierMetroPCS Communications Inc. as the supplier of equipment and services totransform its distributed nationwide Evolved Packet Core network. Thetransformation will enhance key services including high-speed data, voiceoverLTE (VoLTE) and Rich Communication Services for MetroPCS customers acrosstheUnited States.
This allows MetroPCS to meet the stringent requirements of rapidly evolvingnext-generation LTE networks, handle high-capacity needs and save costs byconsolidating multiple applications on the same platform, all whileenhancingthe experience for its customers.
Ericsson will serve as the project's prime integrator with responsibilityfordesign, installation and commissioning, and post-launch customer support.
Roger D. Linquist, CEO and Chairman of the Board of MetroPCS, says: "Fromthelaunch of our first LTE network and now our new core transformationproject,Ericsson has long been a key strategic partner. We value the strength ofEricsson's product and service offerings, as well as its ability to providefastand reliable rollouts of leading-edge technology."
Angel Ruiz, Head of Region North America, Ericsson, says: "Ericsson ispleasedto support MetroPCS in transforming its network and enabling the deliveryof agreatly enhanced customer experience."
The LTE core transformation will be deployed by implementing Ericsson'send-to-end solution, which includes:
* Evolved Packet Gateway (EPG) on the SSR 8000 family of Smart ServiceRouters - a highly scalable IP service-delivery platform that enablesdeployment of critical IP-edge applications, addressing the stability of LTE networksvia scalability in the data and control planes
* Mobility Management Entity (MME) on the Ericsson Blade System, MkVIII platform - offering superior scalability and extending capabilities tomeet aggressive growth predictions in terms of the number of connecteddevices
* Integrated multi-technology operations support systems - allowingmobile operators to enhance network performance to support real-timeoperations, while lowering total cost of ownership with lower power consumption anda reduced footprint.
NOTES TO EDITORS
MetroPCS selects Ericsson as primary Microwave backhaul equipment provider:
Ericsson launches its first LTE network in North America:
New MINI-LINK products launched for small cells:
Download high-resolution photos and broadcast-quality video atwww.ericsson.com/press
Ericsson is the world's leading provider of communications technology andservices. We are enabling the Networked Society with efficient real-timesolutions that allow us all to study, work and live our lives more freely,insustainable societies around the world.
Our offering comprises services, software and infrastructure withinInformationand Communications Technology for telecom operators and other industries.Todaymore than 40 percent of the world's mobile traffic goes through Ericssonnetworks and we support customers' networks servicing more than 2.5 billionsubscribers.
We operate in 180 countries and employ more than 100,000 people. Founded in1876, Ericsson is headquartered in Stockholm, Sweden. In 2011 the company'snetsales were SEK 226.9 billion (USD 35.0 billion). Ericsson is listed onNASDAQOMX, Stockholm and NASDAQ, New York stock exchanges.
Ericsson to transform MetroPCS 4G LTE core network:http://hugin.info/1061/R/1683638/551077.pdf
This announcement is distributed by Thomson Reuters on behalf ofThomson Reuters clients. The owner of this announcement warrants that:
(i) the releases contained herein are protected by copyright and other applicable laws; and
(ii) they are solely responsible for the content, accuracy and originality of the information contained therein.
Source: Ericsson via Thomson Reuters ONE
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT
Ericsson Corporate Communications
Phone: +46 10 719 69 92
E-mail: Email Contact
Ericsson Investor Relations
Phone: +46 10 719 00 00
E-mail: Email Contact
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Potential Snags to the Bipartisan Budget Deal
- Adam Levine Wins Big as 'The Voice' Crowns Champ
- Archer Daniels Midland Moving HQ to Chicago
- From Fiscal Cliff to Female Head of GM: 2013 in Review
- U.S. Home Construction Hammers Out 5-Year High
- Budget Deal on Brink of Passing in Senate
- Wine Collector Convicted of Making Fake Vintages
- William Morris Endeavor Eats up IMG
- Broadband Policies Could Mean 11,000 Jobs
- Apple: Disney Animation iPad App Best of 2013