You don't have to need Social Security benefits to collect them: Every eligible American can collect benefits at retirement, and that includes millionaires. In 2010, 47,535 millionaires received Social Security benefits totaling $1.438 billion. The maximum benefit is $2,533 a month, or $30,396 a year.
The median income of all Social Security recipients 65 or older is $26,000; 27 percent of recipients have income of less than $15,000.
People who earn higher salaries in their working years benefit more from Social Security. The higher the payroll tax contribution, the greater the benefits at retirement.
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Major Phone Makers Sign Anti-Phone-Theft Pledge
- College Board Offers a Sneak Peak at New SAT
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Salsa Legend Cheo Feliciano Killed in Car Crash
- Miss. Gov. Signs Bills to Curb Unions
- Google Q1 Earnings Dip as Ad Prices Slip
- Hiring and Weekly Jobless Claims Both Edge Up
- PepsiCo Q1 Profits Rise on Snack Sales, Cost Cuts
- Snowden Questions Putin on TV Call-in Show
- Poor Barbie Sales Drag on Mattel