You don't have to need Social Security benefits to collect them: Every eligible American can collect benefits at retirement, and that includes millionaires. In 2010, 47,535 millionaires received Social Security benefits totaling $1.438 billion. The maximum benefit is $2,533 a month, or $30,396 a year.
The median income of all Social Security recipients 65 or older is $26,000; 27 percent of recipients have income of less than $15,000.
People who earn higher salaries in their working years benefit more from Social Security. The higher the payroll tax contribution, the greater the benefits at retirement.
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Hispanics Seek to Grow School Board Members
- Slow Week Ahead of December FOMC Meeting
- 'Knockout Game': Myth or Menace?
- U.S. Companies Eager for Iranian Business
- Questions Remain in Jenni Rivera's Death
- GM Bailout Saved 1.2 Million U.S. Jobs, Report Says
- Banks Fret as Volcker Vote Approaches
- Bitcoin Used to Buy Tesla Car
- Paul Walker Fans Pay Respects
- Yellen Set to Become One of World's Most Powerful Women