You don't have to need Social Security benefits to collect them: Every eligible American can collect benefits at retirement, and that includes millionaires. In 2010, 47,535 millionaires received Social Security benefits totaling $1.438 billion. The maximum benefit is $2,533 a month, or $30,396 a year.
The median income of all Social Security recipients 65 or older is $26,000; 27 percent of recipients have income of less than $15,000.
People who earn higher salaries in their working years benefit more from Social Security. The higher the payroll tax contribution, the greater the benefits at retirement.
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Bently Creates Alabama Small Business Commission
- Bolivar Appointed to NSHMBA National Board
- When to Say No to Investors, Yes to Mentors
- SBA Kicks off Hispanic Heritage Month
- Rosneft Growth Slowed by Western Sanctions
- Duke Energy, Strata Partner on Big Solar Project
- Ukraine Offers Temporary Autonomy to Rebel-held Areas
- Thousands Risk Losing Health Care Aid
- Lindsay Lohan Claims She Handled Whitney Houston's Body Bag
- Cat Stevens Touring U.S., First Since 1970s