Spanish shot-putter Manuel Martinez has finally been officially acknowledged as the winner of the Olympic bronze medal at the 2004 Athens Summer Games, Spain's national Olympic committee confirmed Tuesday.
Martinez originally finished fourth with a distance of 20.84 metres but the now retired athlete moved up a place after Ukraine's Yuriy Bilonog was stripped of his gold medal for doping.
Bilonog lost his medal after the International Olympic Committee last year re-tested frozen samples taken from athletes in Athens in 2004. American Adam Nelson was subsequently awarded the gold medal with silver going to Dane Joachim Olsen.
Most Popular Stories
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal, Alcoholism Treatment
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Ricky Martin Joins 'The Voice ... Mexico'
- Ukraine Says Russians Firing Across the Border
- Jennifer Lopez, Pitbull to Perform at Fashion Rocks
- Ford Q2 Net Profit up 6 Percent
- U.S. Weighs Refugee Status for Immigrant Kids
- Morgan Stanley Ponies Up $275 Million to Settle SEC Charges