Spanish shot-putter Manuel Martinez has finally been officially acknowledged as the winner of the Olympic bronze medal at the 2004 Athens Summer Games, Spain's national Olympic committee confirmed Tuesday.
Martinez originally finished fourth with a distance of 20.84 metres but the now retired athlete moved up a place after Ukraine's Yuriy Bilonog was stripped of his gold medal for doping.
Bilonog lost his medal after the International Olympic Committee last year re-tested frozen samples taken from athletes in Athens in 2004. American Adam Nelson was subsequently awarded the gold medal with silver going to Dane Joachim Olsen.
Most Popular Stories
- Steven Sotloff Beheading Video Claimed by Islamic State
- Fantasy Football Gambling Industry Facing Increased Legal Scrutiny
- Apple Planning to Launch Mobile Wallet
- Men Are the Big Winners in the Jobs Recovery
- Challenge to Texas Voter ID Begins
- Ford Is Finding Success With Its 'Unminivan'
- U.S. Drones Hit al-Shabab in Somalia
- Durant Spurns Under Armour to Return to Nike
- California Hispanic Chamber Picks New Chair
- Health Care Hiring Up, Wages Down