Spanish shot-putter Manuel Martinez has finally been officially acknowledged as the winner of the Olympic bronze medal at the 2004 Athens Summer Games, Spain's national Olympic committee confirmed Tuesday.
Martinez originally finished fourth with a distance of 20.84 metres but the now retired athlete moved up a place after Ukraine's Yuriy Bilonog was stripped of his gold medal for doping.
Bilonog lost his medal after the International Olympic Committee last year re-tested frozen samples taken from athletes in Athens in 2004. American Adam Nelson was subsequently awarded the gold medal with silver going to Dane Joachim Olsen.
Most Popular Stories
- Bipartisan Budget Deal Gets Key Support in House
- Bitcoin Clones Lurch Onto Financial Scene
- Clinton to Keynote Annual Simmons Leadership Conference
- Scotch Whisky Sales Raise Distillers' Spirits
- Holiday Shopping Off to a Slow Start This Season
- Budget Deal Will Cut 220,000 Californians Out of Jobless Benefits
- Fake Deaf Interpreter Was Hallucinating, Has Schizophrenia
- Tea Party Glum in Face of Bipartisan Budget Deal
- Health Coverage Disparities Emerge Among States
- Futures Fall, Holiday Spending and Unemployment Up