Spanish shot-putter Manuel Martinez has finally been officially acknowledged as the winner of the Olympic bronze medal at the 2004 Athens Summer Games, Spain's national Olympic committee confirmed Tuesday.
Martinez originally finished fourth with a distance of 20.84 metres but the now retired athlete moved up a place after Ukraine's Yuriy Bilonog was stripped of his gold medal for doping.
Bilonog lost his medal after the International Olympic Committee last year re-tested frozen samples taken from athletes in Athens in 2004. American Adam Nelson was subsequently awarded the gold medal with silver going to Dane Joachim Olsen.
Most Popular Stories
- India Recognizes Transgender People as 'Third Gender'
- Grand Jury Seated in Rick Perry Ethics Case
- U.S. Homebuilder Confidence Edged Up in April
- Alfonso Wins Executive of the Year Award
- The 420 on the Hemp Products Giveaway
- German Firm Starts Gas Deliveries to Ukraine
- Five Secrets for Keeping a Job
- Study: Casual Marijuana Use May Cause Brain Changes
- Coca-Cola Soda Sales Lose Pop
- Miami Attorney Being Honored for Charity Work