Spanish shot-putter Manuel Martinez has finally been officially acknowledged as the winner of the Olympic bronze medal at the 2004 Athens Summer Games, Spain's national Olympic committee confirmed Tuesday.
Martinez originally finished fourth with a distance of 20.84 metres but the now retired athlete moved up a place after Ukraine's Yuriy Bilonog was stripped of his gold medal for doping.
Bilonog lost his medal after the International Olympic Committee last year re-tested frozen samples taken from athletes in Athens in 2004. American Adam Nelson was subsequently awarded the gold medal with silver going to Dane Joachim Olsen.
Most Popular Stories
- #myNYPD Twitter Campaign Backfires for NYPD
- First-time Jobless Claims Jump by 24,000
- Justin Bieber's War Shrine Pic Causes Flap
- Wellness Programs Grow More Popular With Employers
- First Lady Announces Job Site for Veterans
- Putin Says Internet Is CIA Plot
- Tesla Expanding Its California Operations
- Google, SunPower Team Up on Solar Power
- Retirement: Why $1 Million Won't Be Enough
- Boeing Flying High With Strong First Quarter