A U.S. Senate panel voted 12-3 behind closed doors Tuesday to recommend the confirmation of John Brennan as CIA director.
It was not immediately clear when the full Senate would vote on the nomination after the Senate Intelligence Committee acted, but Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., has said he hopes to have a vote by the end of the week, Politico reported.
But Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., says he wants to know if Brennan believes the United States may legally use drones to conduct strikes on U.S. soil, and threatens to delay the nomination until he gets an answer, Politico reported.
Also, Sens. John McCain, R-Ariz., Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., and Kelly Ayotte, R-N.H., threaten to delay Brennan's confirmation if they do not get additional information about the Sept. 11 attacks on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya.
"Senators deserve answers to questions," McCain told reporters Tuesday. "That's our constitutional responsibility. It's been a month now since we've asked the questions, and I hope we get the answers, period."
Committee Chairwoman Dianne Feinstein, said hours before Tuesday's vote in closed session that she had reached an agreement with the Obama administration on the release of U.S. Justice Department legal memos on the targeted killings of American citizens overseas, the newspaper reported.
A former top CIA official, Brennan is President Barack Obama's chief counter-terrorism adviser, and is considered the architect of the administration's drone strike policy.
Most Popular Stories
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- Austin musicians point to a variety of reasons to appreciate McCartney
- Manila's Hollywood Week
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- The Blade, Toledo, Ohio, TK Barger column
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes