Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has a severe respiratory infection caused by an immune system weakened by to his medical condition, a government official said.
Minister of Communication and Information Ernesto Villegas said in a nationwide address that Chavez experienced "a deterioration of his respiratory function due to the immune-suppressed status characterizing his clinical condition," El Universal reported.
"Currently, he has a new and severe infection," Villegas said.
Chavez recently returned to Venezuela from Cuba where he received treatment for cancer.
Chavez is aware of his condition and is complying with a treatment plan designed by his medical team, Villegas said.
Villegas urged Venezuelans to reject attempts by the opposition to use Chavez's medical condition "as an excuse to destabilize the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela."
Most Popular Stories
- Tablets, Cars Drive AT&T Gains
- 2015 Mazda MX-5 Miata Is Fast and Eager
- Small Businesses Add 3 More Worries to Their List
- DOMA Tech Adding Jobs to Process VA Claims
- Apple Warns of China iCloud Attack
- Tech Firms Flock to LA's 'Silicon Beach'
- IS Funded by Black Market Oil Sales, Racketeering
- Job Hunting Is Hard Work
- Stocks Subdued After Gains Earlier in Week
- Ford, GM Expect to Report Strong Profits