Jose Abreu and Alexei Bell hit home runs Monday in powering Cuba to a 12-0 rout of China that put the Cubans in the second round of the World Baseball Classic.
Abreu hit a grand slam in Cuba's sixth-run fifth inning and Bell hit a two-run homer that fueled a four-run rally in the fourth inning. The game was called after seven innings under the mercy rule.
Cuba improved to 2-0 in Pool A and will play Japan (2-0) Wednesday for the group title. Both are assured of moving into the next round, which begins Friday in Tokyo. China (0-2) and Brazil (0-2), the other Pool A teams, won't advance.
Cuban starters Danny Betancourt, 1-0, allowed one hit and struck out eight over 4 2/3 innings. China managed just three hits on the day.
Xin Lin (0-1) was charged with five runs on eight hits over 3 1/3 innings.
Frederich Cepeda opened the scoring with an RBI triple in the first inning and Abreu added an RBI double in the third. Bell's two-run home run and a two-run double by Alfredo Despaigne in the fourth made the score 6-0.
Jose Fernandez, who scored four runs, singled in two runs in the sixth before the Abreu grand slam.
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- Is Diversity in the Eye of the Beholder?
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- Investors Betting on ECB Stimulus Measures
- 'Mythbusters' Build Team Gets the Boot
- Jennifer Lopez Would Marry Again
- Florida Judge Rules in Favor of GOP Voter Map
- Mo'Ne Davis a Big Winner Despite Loss
- DHS Warns Retailers About Malware in Cash Registers
- Hackers Get Homeland Security Employee Records