Some 1,300 flights are to be cancelled in Spain
this week, Iberia sources said Monday, as the airline's employees
stage the second of three five-day strikes.
The strike will affect flights by Iberia and related airlines using its ground services. The cancellations will include 400 Iberia flights, 434 of Air Nostrum, 316 of Vueling and 100 of Iberia Express.
Iberia said 38,000 of the 40,000 affected passengers have been booked on alternative flights. The rest can request new flights or get their money back.
Cabin crew, pilots and ground employees are protesting Iberia's plans to cut 3,807 jobs - nearly 20 per cent of its workforce.
Iberia reported an operating loss of 351 million euros (456 million dollars) in 2012, its owner International Airlines Group said last week.
A government-appointed expert is mediating between Iberia and trade unions in an attempt to end the stoppages.
Most Popular Stories
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- SET PHASERS TO DUMB Spock emotional and in love? Nonstop explosions? The highly illogical enterprise of J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek'
- The Blade, Toledo, Ohio, TK Barger column
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- Detroit Free Press Julie Hinds column