Former Southeast Asian Games champion Veronica Domingo-Ryu won a gold medal in the prestigious 2013 US Open Taekwondo Championships held in Las Vegas, Nevada USA.
Domingo-Ryu connected a game-winning axe kick in the third round en route to a Referee-Stopped-Contest (14-0) victory over American Christina Jackson in the finals of the women's over 67.1-kilogram (kg) heavyweight category.
"The referee stopped the match due to more than 12-point lead rule. In the third round, the score was 11-0 then I threw the final kick that connected to her [Jackson] face, making it a 14-0 in my favor," Domingo-Ryu said.
Domingo-Ryu made it to the finals via an easy walkover win over Canadian Elizabeth Collin in the three-day tournament participated by more than 40 countries.
"I miss tae kwon do that's why I decided to compete again. I'm very curious about the new rules and electronic scoring system that's why I gave it a try and at the same time I supported my husband who competed in poomsae [forms] for the first time in international competition," said Domingo-Ryu, who's at the peak of her career when she married Korean Ryu Choung Hwan--a silver medalist in the men's poomsae senior category.
Mexico and France shared the top honors with three gold medals each while Slovenia and Germany earned two golds apiece. Winning one gold each are Canada, US, Gabon, Thailand, Puerto Rico and Sweden. Domingo-Ryu last competed for the Philippines in the 2007 Thailand SEA Games where she bagged a bronze medal.
Prior to that, she pocketed gold medals in 2001 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and in 2003 in Hanoi, Vietnam then placed second when the country hosted the 2005 edition of the biennial meet. Domingo-Ryu also got a couple of bronze medals in the Asian Games--sin 2002 in Busan, South Korea and in 2006 in Doha, Qatar.
Most Popular Stories
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- Taco Bell Rings Up Breakfast Menu
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- For Obama, a Last Stab at Improving Ties with Capitol Hill
- Sunday Starts Daylight Saving Time
- 'Holy grail of guitars' OM-45 Deluxe Available in in NY Auction