TORONTO, ONTARIO -- (Marketwire) -- 03/30/13 -- On behalf of our 240,000 members across Ontario, CUPE Ontario joins those mourning the loss and celebrating the life of our Brother Peter Kormos, the former NDP Member of Provincial Parliament for Welland.
First elected to the provincial legislature in 1988, Peter was a steadfast ally of working people; the Ontario labour movement's legislative lion until 2011 when he left Queen's Park.
Peter stood up for the rights of working people and collective bargaining against all attacks, even when they came from within his own party. A true democratic socialist, he never stopped fighting for public services and public control over our economic future, even when it cost him personally.
He put principle before political pragmatism, relished a passionate debate with friends and foes alike and always put the needs of working Ontarians first. Peter was a constant ally to CUPE members across Ontario, never passed a picket line he didn't join and encouraged generations of workers to become more active in their unions and in politics.
For more than two decades, Peter used his considerable oratory skills and understanding of parliamentary procedures to advocate for us, for our families and for our communities. He was a firebrand, a colourful character and a rogue against the political establishment for us, our unions and our movement. More than all that, he was our friend and our brother in the common struggle to build a more fair and equitable Ontario and he will be missed.
Most Popular Stories
- James Foley Beheading Video Is Real Thing: White House
- McDonald's Packages Coffee for National Distribution
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- Honda's Safe Approach Pays Off in Sales
- Target Slashes Annual Profit Outlook
- Google Kid Accounts Plan Raises Worries
- Castro-Blanco Joins Fifth Street Finance Board
- GE Healthcare Bringing Jobs to Massachusetts
- Ballmer Steps Down From Microsoft Board
- Islamic Militant in James Foley Beheading Video May Be English