VICTORIA, BRITISH COLUMBIA -- (Marketwire) -- 03/28/13 -- Today the Our Place dining room will be a flurry of activity as many of Victoria's homeless and most vulnerable citizens will be treated to a festive turkey dinner with all of the trimmings. The society expects to serve in excess of 1000 people throughout the day with dozens of volunteers and many local politicians in attendance to serve this year's Community Easter Meal.
"Easter represents a time of renewal and rejuvenation and many of our guests look forward to sharing this holiday celebration together," said Don Evans, Executive Director. "With Spring in the air and a new sense of hope, it can be very healing for families to connect and for many; we are the only family that they have."
The meal will consist of 1000 lbs. of turkey, 800 lbs. of potatoes, 350 lbs. of stuffing, 300 lbs. of vegetables, 35 gallons of gravy, 65 lbs. of cranberry sauce, 175 apple pies with whipped cream and 1500 cups of coffee.
Our Place is a community centre serving Greater Victoria's working poor, the impoverished elderly, individuals with mental health and physical challenges and the homeless. It provides 45 transitional housing units, over 1,200 meals per day, hot showers, free clothing and counselling and outreach services. Most importantly, it provides a sense of hope and belonging to our neighbours in need.
Event: Annual Community Easter Meal
Date: Today, 11:30 am - 2:30 pm (Media are welcome to come earlier to film the flurry of kitchen activity)
Location: Our Place Society, 919 Pandora Ave., Victoria
Add to Digg Bookmark with del.icio.us Add to Newsvine
Our Place Society
Most Popular Stories
- 2014 World Cup Official Noisemakers Quieter than Vuvuzelas
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- It's No Yolk: Food-tech Startups Take Aim at Replacing Eggs
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief