The Boulder, Colo.-based Outdoor Industry Association says $85.4 billion is spent in California annually on outdoor recreation, supporting 732,100 California jobs, generating $27 billion in wages and producing $6.7 billion in state and local tax revenue.
Spending in California accounts for more than 13 percent of the national total of $646 billion spent each year on outdoor recreation.
Nationally, the association said outdoor recreation supports 6.1 million jobs and generates nearly $80 billion in tax revenue.
"Americans spend almost twice as much on outdoor recreation as they spend on pharmaceuticals each year. And outdoor recreation supports more than twice as many jobs as the oil and gas industry," said Will Manzer, OIA chairman.
Most Popular Stories
- 'Lucy's' Super Powers Tops 'Hercules' at Box Office
- The Rise and Fall of Richard Alarcon
- 'Sharknado' Sequel Has Bite and Lots of Laughs
- Nissan Profits Rise on Growth in U.S., China
- Shania Twain's Vegas residency ending after 110 shows
- Desktop, Laptop Setups Still King
- Pending Home Sales Slipped in June
- Four DC Comics Properties Brought to TV Get Comic-Con Event
- Plan to Simplify 2015 Health Renewals May Backfire
- U.N. Renews Demand for Gaza Cease-Fire