The Boulder, Colo.-based Outdoor Industry Association says $85.4 billion is spent in California annually on outdoor recreation, supporting 732,100 California jobs, generating $27 billion in wages and producing $6.7 billion in state and local tax revenue.
Spending in California accounts for more than 13 percent of the national total of $646 billion spent each year on outdoor recreation.
Nationally, the association said outdoor recreation supports 6.1 million jobs and generates nearly $80 billion in tax revenue.
"Americans spend almost twice as much on outdoor recreation as they spend on pharmaceuticals each year. And outdoor recreation supports more than twice as many jobs as the oil and gas industry," said Will Manzer, OIA chairman.
Most Popular Stories
- American Airlines, US Airways Complete Merger
- ACA Delay Stresses Small Businesses
- Unemployed Wait as Lawmakers Debate
- Questions Remain in Jenni Rivera's Death
- General Dynamics Plans 200 New Jobs in N.M.
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Harley Issues Motorcycle Recall
- Auto Dealer Builds Big Solar Project
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response