The Boulder, Colo.-based Outdoor Industry Association says $85.4 billion is spent in California annually on outdoor recreation, supporting 732,100 California jobs, generating $27 billion in wages and producing $6.7 billion in state and local tax revenue.
Spending in California accounts for more than 13 percent of the national total of $646 billion spent each year on outdoor recreation.
Nationally, the association said outdoor recreation supports 6.1 million jobs and generates nearly $80 billion in tax revenue.
"Americans spend almost twice as much on outdoor recreation as they spend on pharmaceuticals each year. And outdoor recreation supports more than twice as many jobs as the oil and gas industry," said Will Manzer, OIA chairman.
Most Popular Stories
- Small Businesses Could Get Paid Faster
- Challenger Raises Bar on Muscle Cars
- Correction: North Dakota Saltwater Spill Story
- Perez Picks Heavily Hispanic Districts in Recount
- Infiniti Exec de Nysschen to Head Cadillac
- Economists Sharply Cut Forecasts for U.S. Growth
- NHTSA Probes Ford Steering Problems
- Downside of Low Mortgage Rates: Less Selling
- Reynolds, Lorillard in Merger Talks
- Fight Against Teacher Tenure Gains Momentum