The Boulder, Colo.-based Outdoor Industry Association says $85.4 billion is spent in California annually on outdoor recreation, supporting 732,100 California jobs, generating $27 billion in wages and producing $6.7 billion in state and local tax revenue.
Spending in California accounts for more than 13 percent of the national total of $646 billion spent each year on outdoor recreation.
Nationally, the association said outdoor recreation supports 6.1 million jobs and generates nearly $80 billion in tax revenue.
"Americans spend almost twice as much on outdoor recreation as they spend on pharmaceuticals each year. And outdoor recreation supports more than twice as many jobs as the oil and gas industry," said Will Manzer, OIA chairman.
Most Popular Stories
- Rackspace Ends Talks About Possible Acquisition
- Mercedes Rolls Out S550 Plug-in Hybrid
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Missouri GM Plant Adding 750 jobs
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Family Dollar Spurning Bid From Dollar General
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays
- Poverty Rate Drops for First Time Since 2006