Google (GOOG) Thursday morning unveiled the early rollout of same-day, Bay Area delivery service for shoppers who use Google to make their online purchases.
Shoppers from San Jose and up the Peninsula to San Francisco can apply to test the same-day delivery service at www.google.com/shopping/express/about/.
Both Google and Facebook are trying to cut into the e-commerce trade currently dominated by the likes of Amazon and Walmart.com as a way to find new sources of revenue while keeping people engaged.
Bay Area shoppers who are initially selected for Google's trial service will get same-day delivery of items they purchase through Google Shopping Express from big-name retailers that include Target, Walgreens, Staples, American Eagle, Toys "R" Us/Babies "R" Us, as well as local companies that include Raley's Nob Hill Foods, San Francisco's Blue Bottle Coffee and Palo Alto Toy & Sport.
Google is not disclosing how many Bay Area shoppers will actually get to use the service during the soft rollout.
But a source close to the project said that orders can be delivered within hours and will come directly from the closest store shelves and not
from centralized distribution centers that could delay delivery.
Shoppers will be allowed to select delivery-time windows, the source said, and items ordered as late as 5 p.m. are designed to be delivered no later than 9 p.m. that night.
Google is working with several delivery companies in the Bay Area but all drivers will wear Google Shopping Express uniforms and their trucks will carry the Google brand.
Most Popular Stories
- Steven Sotloff Beheading Video Claimed by Islamic State
- Fantasy Football Gambling Industry Facing Increased Legal Scrutiny
- Apple Planning to Launch Mobile Wallet
- Men Are the Big Winners in the Jobs Recovery
- Challenge to Texas Voter ID Begins
- U.S. Drones Hit al-Shabab in Somalia
- California Hispanic Chamber Picks New Chair
- Ford Is Finding Success With Its 'Unminivan'
- Durant Spurns Under Armour to Return to Nike
- Auto Industry Going Back to Bad Habits