Hollywood filmmakers Andy and Lana Wachowski are working on their first sci-fi TV series, a show called "Sense8" set to premiere in 2014, Netflix said.
Produced by Georgeville Television, the 10-episode series is described as "a gripping global tale of minds linked and souls hunted."
The Wachowskis previously collaborated on "The Matrix," "The Matrix Reloaded," "The Matrix Revolutions," "V for Vendetta," "Speed Racer" and "Cloud Atlas"
Also working on "Sense8" is writer-producer J. Michael Straczynski, creator of TV's "Babylon 5." His film credits include "Changeling," "Thor" and "Underworld Awakening."
"Andy and Lana Wachowski and Joe Straczynski are among the most imaginative writers and gifted visual storytellers of our time," Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos said in a statement Wednesday. "Their incredible creations are favorites of Netflix members globally and we can't wait to bring 'Sense8' to life."
"We're excited to work with Netflix and Georgeville Television on this project, and we've wanted to work with Joe Straczynski for years, chiefly due to the fact his name is harder to pronounce than ours, but also because we share a love of genre and all things nerdy," Andy and Lana Wachowski said in a joint statement. "Several years ago, we had a late-night conversation about the ways technology simultaneously unites and divides us, and out of that paradox 'Sense8' was born."
"We are proud to be working with Netflix on this new series," said Straczynski. "Lana, Andy, and I are fans of each other's creations, and have been looking for something to do together for nearly a decade."
Most Popular Stories
- Government: 500 Million Records Stolen in 12 Months
- More Hispanic Voters May Not Mean More Clout
- Pistorius Gets 5-year Sentence in Shooting Death
- Mom Makes Toys R Us Pull 'Breaking Bad' Dolls
- Apple Pay Debuts With Few Issues
- Cuba Deploys More Medicos in Ebola Fight
- Volatility No Reason to Bail on Stock Market
- Samsung Phones Cleared For U.S. Government Use
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform
- Disney's Animated Feature 'Moana' Slated for 2016 Release