Nearly six years after making its debut, the iPhone will finally be available on
the T-Mobile wireless network.
The carrier confirmed it will start carrying the iPhone 5 under its new no-contract plans starting April 12. The Simple Choice plan drops two-year contracts for subsidized mobile devices in favor of wireless plans and full-price phones paid over installments.
The iPhone 5 will sell for $99.99 down, plus $20 a month for 24 months. T-Mobile will also carry the iPhone 4S for $69.99 down and $20 monthly for two years. The iPhone 4 will go for $14.99 down and $15 a month.
"This is an important day for people who love their iPhone but can't stand the pain other carriers put them through to own one," John Legere, CEO of T-Mobile USA, said in a statement.
The announcement is part of T-Mobile's unveiling of its new smartphone plans, under which customers pay the full price of a phone over two years but aren't locked into a service contract. Plans start at $50 a month for 500 MB of 4G data, plus unlimited talk and text. Consumers can choose a 2 GB plan for $60 monthly, or unlimited 4G for $70. Customers can pre-order the iPhone 5 from T-Mobile starting April 5.
The company announced it's expanding its 4G LTE network to seven areas: Baltimore, Houston, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Phoenix, San Jose, and Washington, D.C.
T-Mobile says more than 100 million Americans will have access to the 4G network by midyear, some 200 million by year's end.
T-Mobile also confirmed it's carrying another hot smartphone, Samsung's Galaxy S4, on May 1.
T-Mobile CEO John Legere called it an important day for people who love their iPhone.
Mary Altaffer, AP
Most Popular Stories
- Boehner Lashes Out Against Ted Cruz, Far Right
- TFA Recruiting DACA Recipients
- Hawaii Official Who Release Obama Certificate Only Victim of Plane Crash
- Holiday Shopping Off to a Slow Start This Season
- Ford Plans New Cars, Jobs in 2014
- Gold, Silver Slide on Prospects of Fed Exit
- 'Rape Insurance' Bill Passes in Michigan
- Ted Cruz Coloring Book Selling Briskly
- Kim Jong Un's Uncle Executed
- Grizzly Bears Could Be Taken Off Endangered List