Jumping on the immigration-reform bandwagon seems to have given Capitol Hill a boost in its approval rating among Hispanics, according to an ABC News/Washington Post poll released this morning.
The overall population generally approves of the president and the U.S. Supreme Court, but only 30 percent look kindly on the denizens of Foggy Bottom. The congressional approval rating stands at an impressive 56 percent among Hispanics, however, up by 21 percent since November 2011, when just 35 percent gave a thumbs-up to Congress.
The bump in approval among Hispanics is "likely reflecting (Congress's) current efforts on immigration reform," according to a news release. Both the House and Senate are working on immigration reform bills -- or were before they went on break this week. Proposals should arrive in April.
Only 23 percent of whites approve of Congress, but 45 percent approve of President Obama and 53 percent approve of the Supreme Court. Among Hispanics, 83 percent approve of the president and 61 percent approve of the Supreme Court.
Hispanic voters went for Obama over Mitt Romney by 77 percent to 21 percent in the 2012 election.
College graduates tend to approve of the president and the court, at 55 percent and 58 percent respectively, but only 21 percent approve of Congress.
When broken out by party line, Congress gets 38 percent approval from Democrats and 28 percent approval among Republicans -- who hold a solid majority in the House of Representatives.
The poll was conducted by landline and cellphone March 20-24 among a random sample of 1,014 adults, with a margin of sampling error of 3.5 points. A PDF of the poll is available here.
Most Popular Stories
- Prosecutor to Investigate Walmart Police Shooting
- GM to Announce New Jobs in Tennessee
- Smith & Wesson Misses Target
- Emirates Hit Libyan Targets With Airstrikes
- Michael Brown Funeral: Can Americans Change the Script of Violence?
- Mark Sanchez Suddenly a Hot QB Commodity
- American Killed With ISIS Fighters in Syria
- Marco Rubio Warns Obama on Deportations
- Ford Hires 300 at Louisville Lincoln Plant
- Surf's Up! SoCal Prepares for Big Storm Surf