Dragon eggs nestled in black forbidden rice. Dark & Stormy cocktails. A House Baratheon skewer station -- how apt! -- and of course lemon cakes, Sansa's favorite dessert.
The chefs at Taste Catering pulled out all the stops last week for the red-carpet premiere of "Game of Thrones" at San Francisco's Palace of Fine Arts. Fans of the HBO series and George R.R. Martin's books cheered as the author, showrunnners, directors and stars -- including Kit Harington (Jon Snow), Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark) and Michelle Fairley (Catelyn Stark) -- swept in to watch the Season 3 premiere episode with them in a red-draped theater.
We can't get Jaime Lannister to your "Thrones" viewing party when the new season kicks off
Sunday, but we picked up plenty of menu ideas for you at the premiere afterparty.
The popular series may be known for its medieval blood, gore and intrigue, but there is no shortage of culinary inspiration in Westeros. Just ask Taste Catering executive chef Chris Borges, whose team passed platters of Bran Stark-inspired rustic hand pies stuffed with Marin Sun Farms beef picadillo, Night's Watch treacle-glazed chicken sandwiches and tiny ice cream cones filled with King's Landing Blood Melon Sorbet.
House Baratheon, which is better known for skewering people than ras el hanout-spiced lamb, was represented by platters of shish kebabs, served with chutneys, relishes and sauces for dipping. A Khaleesi-approved "Dragon's Repast"
buffet included ravioli filled with Nantes carrots, veal meatballs, and a black kale salad with toasted farro and pomegranate seeds.
A dessert buffet offered raised platters of those famous lemon cakes, Lannister's Sinful Chocolate Cremeux (chocolate mousse served in shot glasses), tiny pecan pies and blueberry-ricotta tarts (favored, we were told, by Samwell Tarly). Meanwhile, bartenders served Ommegang Iron Throne Blonde Ale in goblets and Dark & Stormy cocktails in copper mule mugs.
It was grandly, gloriously over-the-top. But those Dark & Stormy cocktails, skewers and lemon cakes are all perfect, doable fare for any home-viewing party this weekend. The Dothraki bouncers are up to you.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Obama Seeks to Stay Neutral in CIA-Senate Conflict