Cyprus on Monday hammered out a new bailout deal
with its international creditors, casting aside a despised bank
depositor tax in favour of forced losses on large players in its two
biggest lenders.
The agreement came hours before the European Central Bank had been
expected to cut off emergency funding to the Cypriot banking sector
in the absence of a deal.
"I'm happy because we shall have a [bailout] programme and that it
is to the best interests of the Cyprus people and the European Union
as a whole," said Cypriot President Nicos Anastasiades, who thrashed
out the agreement after more than 10 hours of talks in Brussels.
Eurozone finance ministers, who had also gathered in the Belgian
capital, then promptly gave their blessing to the bailout while the
chief of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) said she would
recommend her institution participate financially too.
"I believe we have averted literally the possibility of bankruptcy
and we have ensured the prospects of generations to come," Cypriot
Finance Minister Michael Sarris said. "It's a good night for Cyprus
and the eurozone."
"We've put an end to the uncertainty that has affected Cyprus and
the euro area over the last few days," said the president of the
ministers' Eurogroup panel, Jeroen Dijsselbloem. "I'm convinced that
this solution is better than the one we reached last week."
The Cypriot parliament rejected that agreement amid widespread
anger in the Mediterranean island nation over a provision that bank
depositors big and small would have to contribute through a one-time
tax.
The levy was meant to make up the difference between the
10-billion-euro (13-billion-dollar) bailout and the needs of Cyprus
for shoring up its troubled banking sector and struggling economy,
estimated at about 17 billion euros.
Instead, the rescue package now foresees that losses would be
forced on holders of shares, bonds and deposits above 100,000 euros
in the country's largest and second-largest banks.
The latter, Laiki Bank, is to be wound down "immediately" and
split into a "good bank" with viable assets and a "bad bank" with
assets to be run down, the Eurogroup said.
The good bank would be incorporated into the larger lender, the
Bank of Cyprus, which would have to assume not only Laiki's healthy
assets but also its about 9 billion euros in European Central
Bank emergency loans, a measure that Anastasiades was said to have
vigorously opposed.
Shareholders, bondholders and depositors in Laiki would take the
biggest hit but it was also "inevitable" that those in the Bank of
Cyprus will be affected too as part of the lender's recapitalization,
Dijsselbloem said.
He said the approach had been considered before but had not proven
politically acceptable until the situation in the Cypriot banking
sector "deteriorated fast" over the past week.
The island's banks have foundered with their heavy exposure to
Greek debt, and the extent of their losses still has to be
determined, Dijsselbloem said.
According to Dijsselbloem, the losses to be forced upon high-end
Laiki depositors, termed a bail-in, would be worth 4.2 billion euros
alone. Big depositors in Cyprus include many major companies and
foreign investors, notably from Russia.
"It would be unrealistic to claim that we will not sustain
substantial losses," Cypriot Finance Minister Michalis Sarris said in
Brussels.
The measures do not have to be approved by the Cypriot parliament
because it has already passed relevant laws, but the parliaments in
Finland, Germany and the Netherlands have to endorse the deal,
Dijsselbloem said.
He said he expected the measures to pave the way for the European
Central Bank to continuing providing life-saving emergency funding to
the Bank of Cyprus and expressed hope that Russia would also offer
Cyprus some relief on loans granted by Moscow.
The bailout should also allow for a first tranche of aid to be
disbursed to Cyprus "in early May," said Klaus Regling, the chief of
the eurozone's rescue fund.
"The near future will be very difficult for the country and its
people," EU Economy Commissioner Olli Rehn said. "Cyprus is part of
the European family, and Europe will stand by the Cypriot people."
The overnight negotiations nevertheless proved "very tough,"
European sources said with Cypriot media reporting that Anastasiades
had at one point threatened to resign.
"We definitely lost some time," German Finance Minister Wolfgang
Schaeuble said. "... That is bitter, also for Cyprus. But without a
bail-in for both banks, it would not have worked."
Most Popular Stories
- Summer Movie Forecast: Biggest Box Office Season Yet For 3D Movies, According to International 3D
- Fox, Twitter team up to promote TV shows, sell ads
- Guitar Center Sessions Updates on New Episodes Featuring The Smashing Pumpkins, Goo Goo Dolls, OneRepublic and Talib Kweli
- One hot summer
- Cinedigm's Docurama Launches New YouTube Channel
- Daily Trivia Byte
- Movieline Rolls Out into the Online Video Space
- OSN strengthens regional footprint with new flagship showroom in Kuwait
- 'How I Met Your Mother' mother revealed
- Stars light up the stage in memory of gentle giant ; REVIEW [Birmingham Mail (UK)]
News-To-Go
Advertisement
Advertisement
News Column
Cyprus Wins Eurozone Backing With Budget Deal
March 25, 2013
Alexandra Mayer-Hohdahl, dpa
Advertisement
Source: Copyright 2013 dpa Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH
Story Tools



