A U.S. soldier shot dead two colleagues and then killed himself at the Marine Corps Base in Quantico, Virginia, the base commander said Friday.
The shooting occurred late Thursday at the barracks at Officer Candidates School, said Colonel David Maxwell. Quantico is just outside Washington DC.
The two victims, both active duty Marines, were a male and a female, and were pronounced dead at the scene. The identities of the victims were being withheld until family is notified, Maxwell said.
Maxwell refuted earlier reports that the alleged shooter had died in a shootout with security personnel.
The incident was being investigated.
Earlier this week, seven Marines were killed and several others were wounded in a training accident in the western state of Nevada.
Most Popular Stories
- Obamacare Doing Just Fine, Ky. Governor Says
- Twitter Names Woman to Board
- Rand Paul Signs up for Obamacare
- Aspen Contracting Adding 300 Jobs
- Hispanic Employment Improves in November
- U.S. Chamber to Run Ads in Idaho, W.Va.
- Trapped Florida Whales Head for Deeper Waters
- U.S. Unemployment Rate Dips to 7 Percent
- Consumer Spending Rises, Incomes Fall
- American Eagle Issues Weak Q4 Outlook