A U.S. soldier shot dead two colleagues and then killed himself at the Marine Corps Base in Quantico, Virginia, the base commander said Friday.
The shooting occurred late Thursday at the barracks at Officer Candidates School, said Colonel David Maxwell. Quantico is just outside Washington DC.
The two victims, both active duty Marines, were a male and a female, and were pronounced dead at the scene. The identities of the victims were being withheld until family is notified, Maxwell said.
Maxwell refuted earlier reports that the alleged shooter had died in a shootout with security personnel.
The incident was being investigated.
Earlier this week, seven Marines were killed and several others were wounded in a training accident in the western state of Nevada.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence