A U.S. soldier shot dead two colleagues and then killed himself at the Marine Corps Base in Quantico, Virginia, the base commander said Friday.
The shooting occurred late Thursday at the barracks at Officer Candidates School, said Colonel David Maxwell. Quantico is just outside Washington DC.
The two victims, both active duty Marines, were a male and a female, and were pronounced dead at the scene. The identities of the victims were being withheld until family is notified, Maxwell said.
Maxwell refuted earlier reports that the alleged shooter had died in a shootout with security personnel.
The incident was being investigated.
Earlier this week, seven Marines were killed and several others were wounded in a training accident in the western state of Nevada.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women