A U.S. soldier shot dead two colleagues and then killed himself at the Marine Corps Base in Quantico, Virginia, the base commander said Friday.
The shooting occurred late Thursday at the barracks at Officer Candidates School, said Colonel David Maxwell. Quantico is just outside Washington DC.
The two victims, both active duty Marines, were a male and a female, and were pronounced dead at the scene. The identities of the victims were being withheld until family is notified, Maxwell said.
Maxwell refuted earlier reports that the alleged shooter had died in a shootout with security personnel.
The incident was being investigated.
Earlier this week, seven Marines were killed and several others were wounded in a training accident in the western state of Nevada.
Most Popular Stories
- Prosecutor to Investigate Walmart Police Shooting
- GM to Announce New Jobs in Tennessee
- Mark Sanchez Suddenly a Hot QB Commodity
- Smith & Wesson Misses Target
- Emirates Hit Libyan Targets With Airstrikes
- Michael Brown Funeral: Can Americans Change the Script of Violence?
- Marco Rubio Warns Obama on Deportations
- American Killed With ISIS Fighters in Syria
- Surf's Up! SoCal Prepares for Big Storm Surf
- Ford Hires 300 at Louisville Lincoln Plant