A U.S. soldier shot dead two colleagues and then killed himself at the Marine Corps Base in Quantico, Virginia, the base commander said Friday.
The shooting occurred late Thursday at the barracks at Officer Candidates School, said Colonel David Maxwell. Quantico is just outside Washington DC.
The two victims, both active duty Marines, were a male and a female, and were pronounced dead at the scene. The identities of the victims were being withheld until family is notified, Maxwell said.
Maxwell refuted earlier reports that the alleged shooter had died in a shootout with security personnel.
The incident was being investigated.
Earlier this week, seven Marines were killed and several others were wounded in a training accident in the western state of Nevada.
Most Popular Stories
- Islamic State Obliterating Cultural Landmarks in Mosul
- The 2014 Fastest-Growing 100
- 'Lucy's' Super Powers Tops 'Hercules' at Box Office
- VW Site Could Mean Another 2,000 Jobs for Chattanooga
- RV Sales See Highest Increase Post Great Recession
- Report: China to Declare Qualcomm a Monopoly
- Eid al-Fitr Celebrations Mark End of Ramadan
- Oppression of Women Cripples Africa: Obama
- Insecticides Permeate U.S. Food, Water Supply
- Anarchy, Chaos Sweep Across Libya