A Colorado prison inmate has been moved to an isolation cell after the head of the state's prison system was shot to death, officials say.
Alison Morgan, a spokeswoman for the Colorado Department of Corrections, said Homaidan al-Turki was not being punished, but was moved for his own protection, The Denver Post reported Thursday.
The department's executive director, Tom Clements, was shot Tuesday night as he opened the front door of his home in Monument.
Morgan said al-Turki's relocation was not specifically related to the investigation of Clements' slaying.
Al-Turki, a Saudi national, became a high-profile inmate after his 2006 conviction for enslaving a housekeeper in his home for four years and sexually assaulting her.
He was sentenced to 28 years to life in prison. A judge later reduced his sentence to eight years.
His conviction angered Saudi officials and prompted the U.S. State Department to send the Colorado attorney general to meet with the Saudi royal family and al-Turki's family.
A week before his death, Clements had denied al-Turki's request to serve the remainder of his sentence in Saudi Arabia, saying the inmate had refused to undergo sex-offender treatment.
Scores of investigators from local, state and federal agencies are involved in investigating Clements' death. Deputies have used dogs to search the house.
Lt. Jeff Kramer of the El Paso County Sheriff's Office said a suspect has not yet been identified and that robbery does not appear to be a motive.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women