Ex-mob boss Lou Ferrante visits some of the most dangerous prisons in the world in La Mafia por Dentro (Inside the Ganger's Code), a new series on Discovery en Espanol. The show airs Thursdays at 9 p.m. ET/PT beginning April 4.
Ferrante was part of the Gambino crime family till he was put away on a 13-year stretch by the Secret Service and FBI. He served nearly 10 years in maximum security.
In the series, he visits maximum security prisons in the U.S., Latin America and Europe, living among the prisoners while explaining the origins, political motives and alliances of feared gangs that exercise enormous power over communities in the outside world -- even from behind bars.
In El Salvador, Ferrante profiles the notorious 18th Street gang and its vendetta against the rival MS-13 gang, while in New Mexico he witnesses the secretive recruiting process of the mushrooming Los Burquenos prison gang.
Discovery en Espanol is the Spanish-language voice of the Discovery channel.
Most Popular Stories
- The Commercial Appeal, Memphis, Tenn., John Beifuss column
- Cabot Street Cinema in Beverly for sale
- Will Yahoo Splurge on $1-Billion acquisition of Tumblr?
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- Financial Times Twitter, Email Hacked
- Travel Startup Localeur Expands to Houston
- Google Fiber Making an Impact
- Jolie Mastectomy Raises Legal Questions
- Facebook, Twitter Announce Apps for Google Glass