Evanston's SPACE has canceled singer Michelle Shocked's May 5 performance at the club following reports of her anti-gay rant from a San Francisco stage Sunday night. "After speaking with the promoter of that show about the nature of the remarks, it's clear that this is no longer a show we're willing to put our name on," the club announced on its website and Facebook page Monday, offering refunds to ticket-holders.
Reports from Sunday's show at San Francisco's Yoshi's say Shocked, a born-again Christian, railed against gay marriage and told the crowd, "You can go on Twitter and say, 'Michelle Shocked says God hates (anti-gay slur).'" The Twittersphere reacted accordingly.
SPACE general manager/talent buyer Jake Samuels, who had booked Shocked previously without incident, said he confirmed with the San Francisco promoter that Shocked's comments were "ugly in nature and not meant to be artistic or satirical in any way ... It wasn't a very hard decision for us."
(c)2013 the Chicago Tribune
Visit the Chicago Tribune at www.chicagotribune.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Twitter Names Woman to Board
- NSA Tracks 5 Billion Cellphone Records a Day
- Nelson Mandela Dies After Momentous Life
- Nelson Mandela Dead at 95
- W.H. Corrects Itself on Unclegate
- Pope Francis Says He'll Fight Child Sex Abuse
- Yemen Attack Kills 52
- Fast-Food Workers Want $15 an Hour
- Roybal-Allard Tours Gordon Brush Plant
- Aspen Contracting Adding 300 Jobs