Los Angeles (dpa) - A federal judge on Friday slashed the damages
awarded to Apple in its patent case against Samsung and ordered a new
trial between the two technology giants.
In a 27-page opinion, Judge Lucy Koh said that the jury had failed to follow her instructions on calculating the damages and cut the 1.05-billion-dollar award by 450 million dollars to 599 million dollars.
In her ruling the judge said the jury had relied on a legal theory "that the court had ruled legally impermissible." But in a more positive note for Apple Koh also said that the company is entitled to additional damages for patent violations on products that weren't considered by the jury.
The case in question relates to 14 alleged patent violations on older Samsung products, while a separate case proceeds between the two companies on a newer line of Samsung products such as the Galaxy SIII smartphone and the Galaxy Tab 10.1.
The legal battle is also seen as a proxy war between Apple and its great rival Google, whose Android operating system runs the devices in question.
Most Popular Stories
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform
- Eric Garcia Appointed as Revenue Chief
- Tablets, Cars Drive AT&T Gains
- More Hispanic Voters May Not Mean More Clout
- New Effort to Ban Child Labor From Tobacco Farms
- Stocks Subdued After Gains Earlier in Week
- Apple Pay Debuts With Few Issues
- Government: 500 Million Records Stolen in 12 Months
- Pistorius Gets 5-year Sentence in Shooting Death
- Mom Makes Toys R Us Pull 'Breaking Bad' Dolls