The Hispanic Scholarship Fund (HSF) will honor a new generation of Southern California students, parents, teachers, schools and volunteers at the third annual Leaders in Education Awards on April 18.
The event will be emceed by Emmy-winning reporter Kim Baldonado, an HSF alum, at the JW Marriott Hotel (Gold Ballroom) at LA Live! in downtown Los Angeles.
"HSF is delighted to recognize outstanding Latinos in Southern California who are driven and committed to bringing higher education opportunities to their children and their communities," Fidel Vargas, HSF president and CEO, said in a statement. "We want to continue building strong ties to our community in order to raise the number of Latino college graduates around the country."
In addition to HSF's board of directors, guests include Anthony Salcido of Toyota Motor Sales USA Inc., Tim Hanlon of Wells Fargo Philanthropy Group, actor/comedian Cheech Marin and Nely Galan, president of Galan Entertainment.
Animo Leadership Charter High School will pick up the nod for School of the Year.
Other honorees include Teresa Carreto of Roosevelt High School for Educator of the Year; Lorena Aguilar of Whittier for Parent of the Year; Barbie Elizabeth Aguilar of Redondo Union High School for Female Student of the Year; Ariel Salazar of El Rancho High School for Male Student of the Year; and Oscar Ayon-Puga, president and co-founder of Unidos Por La Musica, for Volunteer/Mentor of the Year.
Among the corporate supporters are Google, American Honda Motor Company and Warner Bros.
HSF has awarded more than $368 million in scholarships since its foundation in 1975.
It's not too late to submit your company for the 2013 HispanicBusiness 500! Just visit https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NSYJKM7.
Most Popular Stories
- Hernandez lawyer: Pats Records Dispute Resolved
- Congress Leaving Town as Deadlines Loom
- Oregon Voters to Decide on Recreational Pot
- 4th Circuit Upholds Obamacare Subsidies
- Fiat, Renault Strike Deal on New Light Vehicle
- Oregon to Vote on Recreational Marijuana
- Senate, House Locking Horns on Border Funds
- A's Agree to 10-Year Lease to Stay in Oakland
- LinkedIn to Buy Ad Tech Company Bizo for $175 Million
- Jeter, Bauer Give Fox a Strong Week in TV Ratings