A hacker sent confidential emails to Hillary Clinton from longtime confidant Sidney Blumenthal to journalists and politicians worldwide, TheSmokingGun.com said.
The hacker, known as "Guccifer," gained access to Blumenthal's AOL email account last week and sorted out all memos the senior White House adviser to President Bill Clinton sent to the former secretary of state, TheSmokingGun reported Monday.
In a series of weekend email blasts, Guccifer sent four of the emails discussing the Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, to congressional aides, political figures and journalists.
Guccifer's location remains a mystery to authorities because hackers are known for their ability to conceal their trail through proxies, Internet protocol spoofing and anonymizing software, TheSmokingGun said.
Two IP addresses connected to Guccifer's recent online maneuvers trace him to Russia. The hacker did show another connection to Russia by forwarding Blumenthal's emails to Russian journalists even though most of the other journalists he sent them to were based in the United States.
Most Popular Stories
- Bipartisan Budget Deal Gets Key Support in House
- Bitcoin Clones Lurch Onto Financial Scene
- Clinton to Keynote Annual Simmons Leadership Conference
- TFA Recruiting DACA Recipients
- Scotch Whisky Sales Raise Distillers' Spirits
- Holiday Shopping Off to a Slow Start This Season
- Fake Deaf Interpreter Was Hallucinating, Has Schizophrenia
- Tea Party Glum in Face of Bipartisan Budget Deal
- Budget Deal Will Cut 220,000 Californians Out of Jobless Benefits
- Health Coverage Disparities Emerge Among States