A hacker sent confidential emails to Hillary Clinton from longtime confidant Sidney Blumenthal to journalists and politicians worldwide, TheSmokingGun.com said.
The hacker, known as "Guccifer," gained access to Blumenthal's AOL email account last week and sorted out all memos the senior White House adviser to President Bill Clinton sent to the former secretary of state, TheSmokingGun reported Monday.
In a series of weekend email blasts, Guccifer sent four of the emails discussing the Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, to congressional aides, political figures and journalists.
Guccifer's location remains a mystery to authorities because hackers are known for their ability to conceal their trail through proxies, Internet protocol spoofing and anonymizing software, TheSmokingGun said.
Two IP addresses connected to Guccifer's recent online maneuvers trace him to Russia. The hacker did show another connection to Russia by forwarding Blumenthal's emails to Russian journalists even though most of the other journalists he sent them to were based in the United States.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women