A hacker sent confidential emails to Hillary Clinton from longtime confidant Sidney Blumenthal to journalists and politicians worldwide, TheSmokingGun.com said.
The hacker, known as "Guccifer," gained access to Blumenthal's AOL email account last week and sorted out all memos the senior White House adviser to President Bill Clinton sent to the former secretary of state, TheSmokingGun reported Monday.
In a series of weekend email blasts, Guccifer sent four of the emails discussing the Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, to congressional aides, political figures and journalists.
Guccifer's location remains a mystery to authorities because hackers are known for their ability to conceal their trail through proxies, Internet protocol spoofing and anonymizing software, TheSmokingGun said.
Two IP addresses connected to Guccifer's recent online maneuvers trace him to Russia. The hacker did show another connection to Russia by forwarding Blumenthal's emails to Russian journalists even though most of the other journalists he sent them to were based in the United States.
Most Popular Stories
- More Hispanic Voters May Not Mean More Clout
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform
- Government: 500 Million Records Stolen in 12 Months
- Apple Pay Debuts With Few Issues
- Mom Makes Toys R Us Pull 'Breaking Bad' Dolls
- Pistorius Gets 5-year Sentence in Shooting Death
- Cuba Deploys More Medicos in Ebola Fight
- Eric Garcia Appointed as Revenue Chief
- Volatility No Reason to Bail on Stock Market
- New Effort to Ban Child Labor From Tobacco Farms