Danish toy company Lego on Monday unveiled
plans to build a factory in China to supply its growing market in
The facility in the city of Jiaxing, about 100 kilometres from Shanghai, would employ 2,000 people and be operational in 2017, the company said.
Building work was due to begin next year, Lego said.
"It is our strategy to have production close to our core markets in order to secure short lead-time," Lego executive Bali Padda said.
Currently, the group has production facilities in Denmark, the Czech Republic, Hungary and Mexico.
Lego said it estimated the new plant would be able to provide between 70 and 80 per cent of the products it sells in Asia. Sales in the region have in recent years increased by over 50 per cent a year.
The group reported a full-year net profit of 5.6 billion kroner (969 million dollars) for 2012, topping its own expectations.
The annual net profit compared to 4.16 billion kroner for 2011.
Most Popular Stories
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- Austin musicians point to a variety of reasons to appreciate McCartney
- Manila's Hollywood Week
- The Blade, Toledo, Ohio, TK Barger column
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]