American actor David Hasselhoff says he is supporting an effort to halt the planned demolition of part of the Berlin Wall to make way for luxury apartments.
"This is like tearing down an Indian burial ground. It's a no-brainer," The Local.de quoted the former "Baywatch" star as saying at a Berlin press conference Sunday. "This is the last memorial to the people who died and to the perseverance of freedom.
"Somebody said to me, 'What if they tore down the Brandenburg Gate?' I think there'd be a bit of a protest there, too," he said.
Known as the East Side Gallery because it is adorned by colorful murals, the segment of the wall scheduled for demolition is a popular tourist attraction, The Local said.
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Top Websites for U.S. Hispanics
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response