American actor David Hasselhoff says he is supporting an effort to halt the planned demolition of part of the Berlin Wall to make way for luxury apartments.
"This is like tearing down an Indian burial ground. It's a no-brainer," The Local.de quoted the former "Baywatch" star as saying at a Berlin press conference Sunday. "This is the last memorial to the people who died and to the perseverance of freedom.
"Somebody said to me, 'What if they tore down the Brandenburg Gate?' I think there'd be a bit of a protest there, too," he said.
Known as the East Side Gallery because it is adorned by colorful murals, the segment of the wall scheduled for demolition is a popular tourist attraction, The Local said.
Most Popular Stories
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut
- 10 Things to Know About Alibaba
- Five Steps to Protect Yourself from Data Breaches
- Concur Sold to SAP for $8.3B
- Federal Probe Finds Christie Did Not Order 'Bridgegate'
- Chrysler Recalls Nearly 189,000 SUVs
- Intruder Gets into White House
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas