American actor David Hasselhoff says he is supporting an effort to halt the planned demolition of part of the Berlin Wall to make way for luxury apartments.
"This is like tearing down an Indian burial ground. It's a no-brainer," The Local.de quoted the former "Baywatch" star as saying at a Berlin press conference Sunday. "This is the last memorial to the people who died and to the perseverance of freedom.
"Somebody said to me, 'What if they tore down the Brandenburg Gate?' I think there'd be a bit of a protest there, too," he said.
Known as the East Side Gallery because it is adorned by colorful murals, the segment of the wall scheduled for demolition is a popular tourist attraction, The Local said.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women