American actor David Hasselhoff says he is supporting an effort to halt the planned demolition of part of the Berlin Wall to make way for luxury apartments.
"This is like tearing down an Indian burial ground. It's a no-brainer," The Local.de quoted the former "Baywatch" star as saying at a Berlin press conference Sunday. "This is the last memorial to the people who died and to the perseverance of freedom.
"Somebody said to me, 'What if they tore down the Brandenburg Gate?' I think there'd be a bit of a protest there, too," he said.
Known as the East Side Gallery because it is adorned by colorful murals, the segment of the wall scheduled for demolition is a popular tourist attraction, The Local said.
Most Popular Stories
- Downside of Low Mortgage Rates: Less Selling
- Bundy Ranch Standoff Has Spurred Radical Right
- Small Businesses Could Get Paid Faster
- Correction: North Dakota Saltwater Spill Story
- Economists Sharply Cut Forecasts for U.S. Growth
- Reynolds, Lorillard in Merger Talks
- House Votes to Make Bonus Depreciation Permanent
- Wells Fargo Profit Up, Revenue Down
- Emmys: 'Orange' Marks Break From Sitcoms
- Repubs to Sue Obama for Delaying Obamacare