Maybe they should change the name to Small Brewery Administration.
Over the past three years, the Portland district office of the U.S. Small Business Administration has helped 17 breweries obtain start-up or expansion loans totalling more than $14 million. The financial assistance has been key to the rise of micro breweries in Oregon and southwest Washington.
The SBA's involvement with beer makers dates to 1995, when the agency assisted Full Sail Brewing Co. of Hood River obtain a $1 million loan.
One of the newest success stories is Migration Brewing Co. of Portland, which was founded by four friends in 2008. They obtained SBA funding and held a grand opening in February 2010. The company is growing steadily, producing more than 1,000 barrels of beer in 2012 and now employing 14 people.
Other regional breweries assisted by the SBA's Portland office include Fort George Brewery and Public House, Coalition Brewing, Hair of the Dog Brewing Co., Walkabout Brewing Co., Base Camp Brewing Co., 10 Barrel Brewing Co., Mt. Tabor Brewing Co., Caldera Brewing Co., Loowit Brewing Co., Apocalypse Brewing Co., Astoria Brewing Co., Willamette Brewery, Brew Werks Brewing, Hop Valley Brewing Co., Portal Brewing Co., and Ninkasi Brewing Co.
The latter, based in Eugene, was started in 2006 when Jamie Floyd and Nikos Ridge brewed their first batch of Total Domination IPA. A year later they moved in to their current location. Recently, Ninkasi obtained an SBA loan to provide some of the $16 million required for expansion.
(c)2013 The Oregonian (Portland, Ore.)
Visit The Oregonian (Portland, Ore.) at www.oregonian.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Accenture Gets 8 Percent Bump in Q1
- Alex Kinsey, Sierra Deaton Crowned 'X-Factor' Champs
- Insurance Rule Change Angers Industry
- Renewable Energy Group to Acquire Syntroleum
- Time No Longer Stands Still for Cuban Entrepreneurs
- Obama Opens Last-Minute Loophole in Insurance Law
- Revised GDP Up 4.1 Percent in 3rd Quarter
- Brian Boitano Announces That He Is Gay
- Little Risk of Deportation Under Obama
- Obama's Dad Was Abusive Drunk, Half Brother Says