Raymond Telles, the United States' first Hispanic ambassador, died on March 8. He was 97.
Telles was born to Mexican parents on Sept. 5, 1915, in El Paso, Texas, the daily La Nacion reported, citing news agencies.
On Nov. 3, 1957, he was elected mayor of El Paso, becoming the first Hispanic mayor of a major U.S. city. He served four years.
In 1961, President John F. Kennedy appointed Telles ambassador to Costa Rica, making him the first Hispanic U.S. ambassador.
Telles studied at Texas Western College, now the University of Texas, El Paso. Later, he joined the U.S. Justice Department.
He achieved the rank of colonel in the U.S. Air Force, serving in World War II. He was a military adviser to both presidents Harry S. Truman and Dwight D. Eisenhower. He also fought in the Korean War.
As ambassador to Costa Rica, Telles sought to improve relations between the United States and Costa Rica by often visiting several communities throughout the country. He attended Kennedy's official state visit to Costa Rica on March 18, 1963, months before Kennedy -- beloved by Costa Ricans -- was assassinated.
In 1967, President Lyndon B. Johnson appointed Telles chairman of the U.S.-Mexican Border Commission.
"Our father dedicated his life to public service. He will always be remembered for his efforts to pave the way for future generations of Hispanics and for the social and political progress that his work achieved," his daughter, Cynthia Telles, said, La Nacion reported.
(c)2013 The Tico Times (San Josť, CRI)
Visit The Tico Times (San Josť, CRI) at www.ticotimes.net
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- What Will Happen When Quantitative Easing Ends?
- MillerCoors Taps New Hispanic Ad Agency
- Calories Count: Starbucks to Post the Numbers on Menu Boards
- Aetna Leaving California's Individual Health Insurance Market
- Honda Says Sorry About the Lack of Electric Fits
- Comcast Takes a Stake in a YouTube Content Provider
- OSH Selling Most of Its Stores to Lowe's
- First Person Cured of AIDS Virus Wants to Help Others
- Charitable Giving Sees Encouraging Growth
- Katy Perry: Learned About Divorce Via Text Message