Reggie Bush will wear No. 21 for the Detroit Lions, the team announced on Twitter today.
Bush said at his introductory news conference Wednesday that he wasn't sure what number he would wear. The No. 22 that he wore with the Miami Dolphins the last two seasons is out of circulation in Detroit, for Bobby Layne.
No. 25, the number Bush wore during his first five seasons with the New Orleans Saints, already belongs to his backfield mate Mikel Leshoure.
"I know 22's retired, so I'm going to have to work on something else," Bush said.
The Lions signed Bush to a four-year, $16-million contract as part of a big free agent haul Wednesday. He's expected to play a featured role in the backfield as the Lions look to replicate the production they got from Jahvid Best before concussion problems derailed his career.
Bush said Wednesday he's "extremely confident" the Lions can rebound from last year's 4-12 season.
"When I was in New Orleans, my rookie year, we went to the NFC championship game. And then the next two years, one year, we didn't even make .500 -- I think we were 7-9 -- and then another year, we were 9-7. And then the following year, we ended up winning the Super Bowl," Bush said. "I'm not so much worried about records and what happened last year. Every year is a new year. What happened last year has no bearing on what's going to happen in this season, and that's the way we have to approach it. We have to approach it as a new year and learn from the mistakes of last year but, at the same time, figuring out a way to get better."
Most Popular Stories
- PBS Series Examines America's Demographic Shift
- Tim Cook Has Proved That Apple is His Baby
- Royals Beat A's in 12-inning Wild Card Thriller
- Why the Bond Market Isn't as Safe as You Think
- Construction Spending Down Again for August
- Lexus Luxury Compact Sedan Wins Buyers
- Texas Sees Gains in Hispanic College Enrollment
- Americans Bet Big on Gambling Industry
- What to Look for in Mich. Jobs Market
- Obama Seeks Traction From Economic Recovery