Reggie Bush will wear No. 21 for the Detroit Lions, the team announced on Twitter today.
Bush said at his introductory news conference Wednesday that he wasn't sure what number he would wear. The No. 22 that he wore with the Miami Dolphins the last two seasons is out of circulation in Detroit, for Bobby Layne.
No. 25, the number Bush wore during his first five seasons with the New Orleans Saints, already belongs to his backfield mate Mikel Leshoure.
"I know 22's retired, so I'm going to have to work on something else," Bush said.
The Lions signed Bush to a four-year, $16-million contract as part of a big free agent haul Wednesday. He's expected to play a featured role in the backfield as the Lions look to replicate the production they got from Jahvid Best before concussion problems derailed his career.
Bush said Wednesday he's "extremely confident" the Lions can rebound from last year's 4-12 season.
"When I was in New Orleans, my rookie year, we went to the NFC championship game. And then the next two years, one year, we didn't even make .500 -- I think we were 7-9 -- and then another year, we were 9-7. And then the following year, we ended up winning the Super Bowl," Bush said. "I'm not so much worried about records and what happened last year. Every year is a new year. What happened last year has no bearing on what's going to happen in this season, and that's the way we have to approach it. We have to approach it as a new year and learn from the mistakes of last year but, at the same time, figuring out a way to get better."
Most Popular Stories
- More Hispanic Voters May Not Mean More Clout
- Apple Pay Debuts With Few Issues
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform
- Government: 500 Million Records Stolen in 12 Months
- Mom Makes Toys R Us Pull 'Breaking Bad' Dolls
- Pistorius Gets 5-year Sentence in Shooting Death
- Cuba Deploys More Medicos in Ebola Fight
- Eric Garcia Appointed as Revenue Chief
- New Effort to Ban Child Labor From Tobacco Farms
- Volatility No Reason to Bail on Stock Market