"Veronica Mars" creator Rob Thomas says a film version of the California detective drama series will be made, thanks to fans who raised $2 million in 11 hours.
Thomas and actress Kristen Bell, the show's star, announced a Kickstarter online fundraising campaign Wednesday. They said Warner Bros. agreed to make a "Veronica Mars" movie if fans contributed $2 million toward it by April 12.
The money was raised the same day the challenge was presented.
"My mind is blown. I've been fantasizing about this and had to tell myself: 'Stop it, Rob, you're being silly. You're setting yourself up for disappointment,'" Thomas told EW.com. "And now today has exceeded the wildest pipe dream I let myself entertain. Holy cow. We better make a good movie. These amazing fans have stepped up. We better deliver."
"I knew 'Veronica Mars' fans were cool, but I had no idea they could rally with such power. They are unstoppable -- just like Veronica. I will have a permanent blush on my face, feeling so lucky to be associated with this entire thing," Bell said.
The movie is expected to be shot this summer and released in theaters in early 2014.
The TV series had a small but loyal following during its three-season run from 2004-07.
Most Popular Stories
- Airport Garners Social Media Award
- Social Media Campaign Increases Organ Donor Registrations
- World Bank: Rich Countries Must Curb Emissions
- Using Acids to Unlock Shale Oil OK, Regulator Says
- Intel Working on Smartwatch; Mum on Possible Apple Link
- Banks Don't Follow Rules in Mortgage Settlement
- Fed Will Keep Buying Bonds for Now; Markets Dip
- Patriots' Aaron Hernandez Questioned in Slaying
- Tea Party Wants to 'Audit the IRS'
- Amazon Doesn't Need Tax Breaks but Gets Offered Millions