"Veronica Mars" creator Rob Thomas says a film version of the California detective drama series will be made, thanks to fans who raised $2 million in 11 hours.
Thomas and actress Kristen Bell, the show's star, announced a Kickstarter online fundraising campaign Wednesday. They said Warner Bros. agreed to make a "Veronica Mars" movie if fans contributed $2 million toward it by April 12.
The money was raised the same day the challenge was presented.
"My mind is blown. I've been fantasizing about this and had to tell myself: 'Stop it, Rob, you're being silly. You're setting yourself up for disappointment,'" Thomas told EW.com. "And now today has exceeded the wildest pipe dream I let myself entertain. Holy cow. We better make a good movie. These amazing fans have stepped up. We better deliver."
"I knew 'Veronica Mars' fans were cool, but I had no idea they could rally with such power. They are unstoppable -- just like Veronica. I will have a permanent blush on my face, feeling so lucky to be associated with this entire thing," Bell said.
The movie is expected to be shot this summer and released in theaters in early 2014.
The TV series had a small but loyal following during its three-season run from 2004-07.
Most Popular Stories
- Steven Sotloff Beheading Video Claimed by Islamic State
- Fantasy Football Gambling Industry Facing Increased Legal Scrutiny
- Apple Planning to Launch Mobile Wallet
- Men Are the Big Winners in the Jobs Recovery
- Challenge to Texas Voter ID Begins
- U.S. Drones Hit al-Shabab in Somalia
- California Hispanic Chamber Picks New Chair
- Ford Is Finding Success With Its 'Unminivan'
- Durant Spurns Under Armour to Return to Nike
- Auto Industry Going Back to Bad Habits