OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwire) -- 03/14/13 -- The Honourable Joe Oliver, Canada's Minister of Natural Resources, today announced the appointment of Dr. Alexander McEwan as a permanent member of the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) for a five-year term.
"Dr. McEwan is a leading expert in nuclear medicine and medical isotopes," said Minister Oliver. "His insight and leadership will be great assets to the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission as it continues to ensure safety, security, health and environmental stewardship in the nuclear industry."
Dr. McEwan has over 25 years experience in nuclear medicine and served as a special advisor on medical isotopes to the federal Health Minister in 2009.
Canada has one of the most stringent nuclear regulatory regimes in the world, which is administered by the CNSC. The CNSC is mandated to regulate the nuclear sector in Canada and to oversee Canada's international commitments on the peaceful use of nuclear energy.
The following media backgrounder is available at www.nrcan.gc.ca/media:
Dr. Alexander (Sandy) McEwan
NRCan's news releases and backgrounders are available at www.nrcan.gc.ca/media
Media may contact:
Office of Canada's Minister of Natural Resources
Natural Resources Canada, Ottawa
The general public may contact:
Mon.-Fri., 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. EDT
(teletype for the hearing-impaired)
Most Popular Stories
- More Hispanic Voters May Not Mean More Clout
- Government: 500 Million Records Stolen in 12 Months
- Mom Makes Toys R Us Pull 'Breaking Bad' Dolls
- Apple Pay Debuts With Few Issues
- Pistorius Gets 5-year Sentence in Shooting Death
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform
- Cuba Deploys More Medicos in Ebola Fight
- Volatility No Reason to Bail on Stock Market
- Samsung Phones Cleared For U.S. Government Use
- Disney's Animated Feature 'Moana' Slated for 2016 Release