OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwire) -- 03/14/13 -- The Honourable Joe Oliver, Canada's Minister of Natural Resources, issued this statement following his meeting with the French Minister for Ecology, Sustainable Development and Energy, Delphine Batho:
"Minister Batho and I had an excellent discussion, where I highlighted Canada's leadership in advancing our shared interests in enhancing environmental protection while developing our natural resources.
"France is a key Member State of the European Union and a driver of its economic and fiscal policy agenda. I took this opportunity to share our Government's concern directly with the Government of France regarding the Fuel Quality Directive (FQD).
"Canada has always supported the adoption of tangible measures that result in global GHG reductions. We remain strongly opposed to the European Commission's proposed measures for its FQD, which unfairly differentiate oil sands crude from all other sources of crude oil commonly used in the EU, including those with similar or higher GHG emissions.
"We also discussed the ongoing French energy transition and future of nuclear energy in France.
"Canada believes that nuclear energy plays an important role in achieving global energy security and sustainable development goals.
"The Harper Government's focus is jobs, economic growth and long-term prosperity. By working together, we will succeed in helping both of our countries reach their full energy potential while building on our strong stewardship of the environment."
NRCan's news releases and backgrounders are available at www.nrcan.gc.ca/media.
Media may contact:
Office of Canada's Minister of Natural Resources
Natural Resources Canada, Ottawa
The general public may contact:
Mon.-Fri., 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. EDT
(teletype for the hearing-impaired)
Most Popular Stories
- Neighbor Warns Chris Brown to Stay Off His Property
- Venezuelan Officials Banned From Traveling in U.S.
- Adrienne Bailon Disses Ex-Lover Rob Kardashian
- Hispanic Arts Leaders Unite Across the Border
- Hiring on the Rise at Small Businesses
- NSHMBA Names Lincoln as Automotive Partner
- Islamic State Fights for Control of Syrian Oil Wealth
- How to Fit Green Energy Into Your Portfolio
- Sanctions Will Hit Russia Hard if Not Lifted Quickly
- Jerry Brown Favors More Shelters for Immigrant Kids