Former Harris County Commissioner Sylvia Garcia was sworn in Monday as Texas' newest state senator, a record seventh woman and the third Hispanic woman serving in the Upper Chamber.
She replaces veteran Sen. Mario Gallegos, also a Democrat, who passed away last year after representing Senate District 6 for 17 years. Garcia was elected in a runoff this month by defeating state Rep. Carol Alvarado, D-Houston.
Garcia completes the 31-member Senate roster for the first time since the Legislature convened this year, with Gallegos' seat vacant.
Sen. Judith Zaffirini, D-Laredo, said that when she joined the Senate in 1986, only eight woman total had ever served in the senate -- and she and Eddie Bernice Johnson of Dallas were the first two to serve at the same time. Zaffirini was the first Hispanic woman to serve.
Margie Neal of Carthage was the first woman to serve in the Senate, starting in 1927.
Garcia, who was sworn into office earlier in the day, took her seat at a front-row desk for the first time when the Senate convened at 2 p.m. "I believe in short and sweet," she said in her brief thank-you to senators who gave her a standing ovation.
Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst quickly assigned Garcia to four committees: Government Operations, Intergovernmental Relations, Jurisprudence and Nominations.
Most Popular Stories
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- Manila's Hollywood Week
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- Austin musicians point to a variety of reasons to appreciate McCartney
- Financial Times Twitter, Email Hacked
- Apple's iPhones, iPads Approved for Military Use, Sir Yes Sir!
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Return of Khan?