CALGARY, ALBERTA -- (Marketwire) -- 03/11/13 -- The Honourable Rona Ambrose, Minister of Public Works and Government Services, on behalf of the Honourable Joe Oliver, Canada's Minister of Natural Resources, today discussed the economic importance of Canada's natural gas industry at the Canadian Energy Research Institute's annual natural gas conference.
"Over the next 25 years, the natural gas sector alone has the potential to contribute as much as $940 billion to the Canadian economy and support more than a quarter of a million jobs a year," said Minister Ambrose. "The Harper Government is determined to see that Canadians benefit from every last one of those dollars."
Global energy demand is expected to increase by 35 percent from 2010 to 2035; however, Canada must look to new and emerging markets in order to harness this opportunity and remain competitive.
"Market diversification remains a top priority for the Harper Government," said Minister Ambrose. "We continue to put in place the conditions that will help to ensure that Canada's natural gas and other resource industries can compete in this new marketplace."
Minister Ambrose also outlined how the Government's plan for Responsible Resource Development is improving efficiency in Canada's regulatory regime for major projects by eliminating duplication, enforcing beginning-to-end limits on environmental assessments, and improving Aboriginal engagement.
NRCan's news releases and backgrounders are available at www.nrcan.gc.ca/media.
Media may contact:
Office of Canada's Minister of Natural Resources
Natural Resources Canada, Ottawa
The general public may contact:
Mon.-Fri., 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. EDT
(teletype for the hearing-impaired)
Most Popular Stories
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform
- Eric Garcia Appointed as Revenue Chief
- Tablets, Cars Drive AT&T Gains
- More Hispanic Voters May Not Mean More Clout
- Stocks Subdued After Gains Earlier in Week
- New Effort to Ban Child Labor From Tobacco Farms
- Apple Pay Debuts With Few Issues
- Government: 500 Million Records Stolen in 12 Months
- Pistorius Gets 5-year Sentence in Shooting Death
- Mom Makes Toys R Us Pull 'Breaking Bad' Dolls